When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skiptooth Chain noise

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Im thinking that i might use red grease and lube the chain and wipe it down after to see if that will take the noise away

1594909681197.gif

My chain makes noise too. I thought it was rubbing on the chainguard - it is not.
I think it is because the chain alignment is off between the chainring and rear cog.
I have been meaning to try taking a washer and putting it on the crank to kick out the chainring a bit but have not had time.
Got the noisy chain virus myself.
You will find a cure - not sure that red grease is the answer though.
And yes - pictures help.

What shud i do then rustjunkie

can't fix it if we don't know what has happened, what the noise is like and when it happens.
gotta know the history and see the parts to determine what the cause of the problem is before a solution is suggested.

what does the noise sound like?
does it happen when the bike is pedaled gently in a workstand or not?
does it happen when pressure is applied to the pedals while riding?

as we learned here:
chains and cogs wear together.
a very worn drivetrain will get you down the road well-past it's "acceptable" wear point, not making any noise and not "skipping" if the rider doesn't put enough pressure on the pedals.
BUT! change the cog or chain and then there's trouble:
have the cog and chain been recently introduced?

you've said the cog and sprocket are pretty much new...let's see pictures of the cog.
most don't know what a worn cog looks like; no fault: we don't know until we know.

fordmike gave good advice about the chain: they wear out (not stretching really) effectively changing the pitch, as noted in the sheldon brown link above.

is the chain nos?
used?
what does it measure and how many links does it have?

nutshell: as the chain and cog wear, the pitch is changed.
introduce old to new and noise comes from the struggle of the components to mesh with each other.

c'est la vie

The cog is an 11 tooth and the sprocket is a 50s sweetheart, chain came from a guy in Cali, so its used off a 40s DX,Screenshot_2020-07-16-13-33-37.png

Screenshot_2020-07-16-13-33-37.png

This is the first time the cog and chain have been together so maybe they have to work into eachother for a bit

You gotta stop riding the bike immediately and grind those teeth down before you DESTROY your skiptooth chain.
I'll get you a picture of mine

The good news is that that cog will likely work for your bike - but it needs some modification.
The picture with the red bike frame is from an old New Departure Model D.The profile is not the same as the ichibike cog so it will need grinded down to more closely match the shape of the old cog - especially the teeth.
All the other pictures are from an Ichibike cog that I had used previously. Like you I i went and bought one of these to convert a modern coaster brake wheel to skiptooth. A local friend of mine @Mr. Monkeyarms let me know before the cog was even mounted that the teeth needed grinded down prior to using otherwise it could chew up the chain. If you feel the edges of the teeth on your cog you will notice that there is a pretty hard-line edge. This will need grinded down a bit in a few areas - you can use a hand-held file with the cog in a vise just tightened enough to hold it in place. Note that the areas that are lighter on the edges of my cog are where it was grinded.
The teeth on my cog seem to be grinded on all 4 sides of each tooth not quite to a point though - note the tooth in the center of the second picture. Not too much but not too little.
The edges of the gaps between the tooth were also very slightly rounded off.
Good luck.

20200716_130752.jpg

20200716_130951.jpg

20200716_130923.jpg

20200716_130914.jpg

20200716_130847.jpg

Last edited:
Back