When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skiptooth chain problem and question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

burningmatches

'Lil Knee Scuffer
New guy here, trying to gain some knowledge.
I picked up an old Schwinn with a skip tooth chain that has a "skip" in it when I ride, and I found that one of the links is different than the others and doesn't seat between the teeth by a mm or so. I like the sweetheart cranks on it so I'd like to use it but it's too annoying to ride like this. I can't shorten the chain because it's already at the limit of the dropouts. Can I get a small length of a few links and splice it in? Should I just look for another chain? I'm guessing my standard chain breaker tool that I have won't work on a skip tooth chain either. Is there a proper chain breaker available for these?
Also thinking of the option of getting a 3 piece bmx crankset and having a modern drivetrain setup. I'm not doing a restoration, just putting together a cool rider/bar bike. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

skiptooth.jpg

skiptooth2.jpg

Yep. The link you pictured on the sprocket is too long. Needs a shorter link in that spot. Have you priced a "new" skip tooth chain lately?

It's been a long day at work and perhaps I am missing something, but wouldn't a master link work?

Tim

I've heard of many people running two master links with no issues.

As far as the chain breaker goes, the skip tooth chain is wider than any 1/2 pitch chain I know of. My personal chain breaker doesn't push the pins all the way out, but if you are removing a link, you just need to get both pins out of one of the sides, and it will pop out. So I've been getting by with a cheapie breaker. I'd try yours before spending up for a new one, unless you love tools (who doesn't, really). Then by all means...

Back