When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skiptooth issues.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Allpro2slow

Look Ma, No Hands!
Alright, I'm still kind of new to this, I've recently acquired a JC Higgins with a skiptooth system.

The wheels are totally shot, spokes are basically just rust.

I've been trying to find a solution to getting this bike rideable soon.

Is it true that you can use a rear hub with an even amount of teeth and just grind out every other one?

Is there a way to replace the sprocket and cog entirely so that I can ride this with a regular chain?

I appreciate it for what it is, but I ride my bikes and skip-teeth are heavy, not super available.

Thanks

Sean

What kind of rear hub do you have? Sometimes its as simple as replacing the cog.

Never ground off teeth, but my guess it thats allot of work to find out it wont work. Plus 1 inch pitch cogs can be thicker than 1/2 inch pitch so 1/2 inch chain won't mesh.

Sprocket replacement up front is easy.

I second the idea of replacing cog, sprocket & chain. It pretty cheap to do. Then you know everything is new and not worn & stretched.

Sorry for the long absence. I was working on essays all weekend.

I will update with pictures and measurements when I get home in an hour or two.

Here's an album of pictures.

Some of the spokes are loose against the rim and move but they do not bend.

The threaded part of all the spokes are completely rusted over and it is not possible to tighten or adjust them.

Not all of the spokes are loose though, some are fairly tight.

The hub has an odd amount of travel between the brake activating and coasting as well as taking an odd amount of travel to get it to grab so that you can pedal.

Would it be easier if I took a short video?

from what I can see of the one wheel, it looks ok to me, but then I'm just seeing a small section...

Thank you. I'm going to put some fat Frank's on and just not go hopping off any curbs.

Thank you guys for your input, it's really great to have such an amazing resource at hand while I took at my stable of bikes.

Back