When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Forebrake Introduction

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
My question here is when, exactly, was the small Forebrake introduced? The catalogs don't show these brakes showing up until the '40 year but several people have told me that both the front (both high and low flange) and rear brakes were introduced sometime in '39. Does anyone have any dealer or trade literature showing exactly when these were introduced? V/r Shawn

They were 1940 issue, but the new 1940 components were being installed on bikes by late 39.
That original as found, two tone blue, Super Deluxe Autocycle I used to have, had a 39 serial number and a 39 dated crank arm, but all of the other components on it were the new 1940 issue stuff.

1940....1940 ..1940....EVEN IF THAT 40 SUPER DELUXE HAD A 39 SERIAL NUMBER .....IT WAS BEING BUILT AS A 1940....AS ALL THE COMPONENTS WERE 1940.....THE SCHOLAR WAS THERE BIDDING ON THAT BIKE WHEN IT CAME UP FOR SALE IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS....SO 1940.....END OF STORY!!!!!

Last edited:
It appears there is disagreement on this topic which is why I asked if anyone had any literature that could substantiate one way or the other. Let me throw this out there and see what you "in the know" think. V/r Shawn
BrakeLeverCable
1937-1939 Large drum original style no rear brakeSo called 'shorty' pressed steelBlack cloth covered, ball clevis
1940 Revised smaller drum. Front in both High and low flange configuration. Rear brake introduced. Barrell marked "Pat'd Pending".So called 'Webb' pressed steelSilver/gold coated, ball clevis
1941 Same as 1940 except no "Pat'd Pending"solid steel no scriptBlack plastic, ball clevis
1946-1960* Front same as prewar high flange rear same as prewar
* Schwinn Fair Trade sheets last list rear expander in 1954 and front in 1960
solid steel "Schwinn" script-no difference in right and left levers.Black plastic, pinch clevis

"As found" and "as sold" - these are not always the same. I think it's just as likely the kid ordered up a new set of wheels for his amazing blue/blue 39 after he saw the 40 catalog. So many of the vintage photos show these bikes modified in all sorts of ways, but when we find them somehow it's an archaeological discovery untouched since the machine's creation at the factory and worthy of building into a huge pile of assumptions and folklore.

"All the components were the new 1940..." - like what? The wheelset/levers that could have been added later? The chainring? Not much difference between a 39 and 40 deluxe except the chainring, typical rear fender strut placement shown but not always followed for each year, and available optional drum brakes. Although I would argue you could still easily get the earlier big drum on your 40 if you wanted it that way.

@Freqman1 - pat pending was 41 too. 41 cables were like 40 and not plastic. The Webb lever shows up in mid-38 on lightweights and 39 on ballooners, same with the dural rear brake, early short levers still used into 39 as well as the Webb on front only, Webb "always" used for rear dural drum. Some overlap on what was used, not a black and white/stop and start situation.

559805BD-C909-43F8-8037-314DD8851859.jpeg

What do you think, Clark?

Back