When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Forebrake Introduction

-
Couple more thoughts and clarifications:

Just to settle the housing color discussion once and for all, the Webb and Dural F&R drums introduced in April of '38 use the same "Special aluminum finish, waterproof cable housing":

View attachment 1140290

View attachment 1140291

And when I cross reference the part numbers for the ferrules and lever end bushings in the catalog for these early lightweight brakes they are the same as the beefy housing for the balloon tire drum brakes. It looks like only the 40+ lightweights with the skinny cast lever and caliper brakes got the smaller gauge housing. I think all Webb lever applications got this aluminum finish cable that everyone thought was p!ss gold - meaning late 38 or 39 for balloon tire bikes. I now think at some point by 39ish all new cable production was likely silver, possibly NOS older black stuff still being used too - who knows. I do know what color aluminum is though....

I think there is a ton of overlap year to year on availability:

- Black cables - mostly early short lever starting in 37, fades out late 38 to mid 39
- Silver cables - show up mid 38 on lightweights for Webb and Dural brakes, late 38 to early 39 on everything else

- Early short lever - 37 to 39 on bikes, and through 40 via parts
- Webb lever - mid 38 on lightweights, early 39 (or even late 38) to early/mid 40 on balloon
- Skinny cast lever - 40+

- Webb lever used on both early 4" fore brake as well as the later 40+ version hubs.

Anyway, it's been fun. I've obviously looked at this stuff way too much, but never really in such an organized and in-depth way. I learned a bunch of stuff just trying to explain what I thought I already knew.

Shawn - have you thought about contacting @Mark Mattei to see if he has any more lever or drum related blueprints/drawings that he hasn't posted on his site? Maybe the mysteries of the Webb lever variants, porkchop spring changes, etc. could be solved if there are more of those he just hasn't made public. A huge thanks here to Mark for putting all of those up for all to see and learn from.

Thanks again Eric for sharing. I'll see Mark at Ann Arbor and see what he may be abel to help us with. V/r Shawn

And here is a better picture of a postwar cable in good condition used 1946 to 1959 roughly....these are waterproofed also!!!!!!

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

Reviving this thread to get after a couple more questions. Is there any difference between the 1941 high flange (non Pat'd Pending) Fore-Brake and the post war Fore Brake? Pics/measurements would be great. Also I've seen some '41s that have the postwar style clevis. Was this introduced in '41?

Reviving this thread to get after a couple more questions. Is there any difference between the 1941 high flange (non Pat'd Pending) Fore-Brake and the post war Fore Brake? Pics/measurements would be great. Also I've seen some '41s that have the postwar style clevis. Was this introduced in '41?
I apologize for arriving late. My parole officer has been in a bad mood.

From the first two pages of the 1937 Schwinn Dealers Catalog

1703018545518.jpeg

1703018583244.jpeg

Back