When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snap On warranty,

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

eeapo

Finally riding a big boys bike
I bought the lower screw drive in the picture back either 1971/72. Still in good working condition except for the cap ( the threads are stripped) that holds the spare bits in the handle.

So I called Snap On the find out if they would replace the cap. Well that particular model has been discontinued so the instead they replaced it with a ratchet type screw driver which includes 5 five bits. After 50 years still under warranty.

3BD2BF9D-6129-4317-87BE-17CD99B0AB08.jpeg

When you make your living with the tools, you really only want to buy them once. Some of my tools are Snap On, and I use them WHERE I make a living, but, not everyday. If I was a full time maintenance tech and needed them everyday, they would ALL be Snap On.

Both of those tools have a date code on them, somewhere.

Ted

When you make your living with the tools, you really only want to buy them once. Some of my tools are Snap On, and I use them WHERE I make a living, but, not everyday. If I was a full time maintenance tech and needed them everyday, they would ALL be Snap On.

Both of those tools have a date code on them, somewhere.

Ted
At that time I was making my living with my tools although not all were Snap On. When I spoke with with the SO representative they only asked for the model number, no date code. I have had other tools replaced but through the local representative.

yep. They will take care of it. Bought a composite hammer back in 1986 and the casing came off. They replaced it will no questions asked. Only thing some part numbers SVT I think were military issued sockets and will not waranty them. most are 12pts that were rounded off. Spent yesterday getting my "Greenies" together...Had to buy my own Christmas gift and hide it from the wife.
IMG_8187.JPG

My late brother was a Snap On dealer for many years, back in the 60's. -80's When I see those big Snap On tool trucks of today, I recall his little 65 Ford Econoline van packed with tools. When he got a bigger truck, he carried a German Shepard dog with him on his route. Thieves would follow the dealers and try to break into his van while he ate lunch. Because some dealerships and trucking companies had night shifts for repairs, he had one evening per week where he would be out late. He didn't like it, but he never was robbed. One one his friends got home late from his rounds and was attacked as he walked into his own back yard. This was in the 80's. The thieves were, hiding and waiting for him. They beat him over the head. as he walked around the corner of his house. Took his keys, cash, and truck. He lived in LaGrange, Ill, just outside Chicago. My brother's route was very large. A good part of DuPage County, Ill. which is a big area. Every couple of years, Snap On Corp. would cut his area, and bring in another dealer. Back in 1974 he offered me half his route. All I had to do was buy a truck. It was very tempting, but I decided not too. I still have some of a set of Craftsman 1/2" sockets bought back in 1958. I've used them on a impact gun with no damage. I recall my brother saying that back then, Snap On was making Craftsman's tools. I don't know how good the new Snap On tools are. I know they are very expensive. Anyway, just thought I'd add this to the conversation. . . . I'm going to edit this and say why he got out of Snap On. Snap On kept cutting his route. He was pissed because he lost dealerships that he had gone to for years, but new dealers were opening up, so I guess Snap On Corp thought everything evened up. He ended up opening a pet shop, that he had for about 20 years, until PetSmart opened a store right down the street from him. Put him out of business. People would buy all their supplies at the big box store and the fish and information from him.

Last edited:
A word on warranties. My brother hated warrantying stuff and having to stop and fix a tool. He told me that most of the time it was because a mechanic abused a tool beyond what it was intended for or it was ancient and legitimately worn out, but he'd still replace them. I once broke a 3/8ths ratchet handle. He gave me no problems on that, as there was clearly a flaw in the steel. Another time, he wouldn't. I gave him a 3/8ths military ratchet that needed a new gear. I found it in the trash, aboard ship. I fixed it myself, on board ship [took it apart and oiled it] and brought it home with me. Years later, the gear broke. I brought it to him and asked for the replacement kit to fix it. The jerk said, " This is military issue. You stole this from the navy. I won't warrantee it. I get you guys all the time bringing me military tools that they took while in the service, and they expect me to warrantee it when it breaks" I explained to him that I didn't steal it, but he still would not fix it. I got really pissed off at him. We argued. We were at my parent's house. His Snap on truck was in the drive, he had the part and he wouldn't give it to his own brother. He finally gave in. I was really pissed. I mean, I'm your brother, not some guy off the street. Jeez! But, that was how he was. His birthday was yesterday. He'd be 80. Really miss the old grouch. I once bought a nice Craftsman top chest from him for 20 bucks. I've had it almost fifty years now. It was like new, and the biggest Sears made at the time. He had gotten it on a repossession. One of the nice things Snap On had was interest free payments on their tools. Most of his customers owed him money. Some of them quite a bit. Every so often, a mechanic would "disappear," still owing him money. All the Snap-On dealers knew each other and when this would happen, they would send the other dealers names of mechanics that stiffed them, knowing that they would show up at another dealership, far out of their territory. I recall my brother telling me, "These guys think they can skip out on payments when they quit a dealer, but sooner or later, we find them. If they're not at work when I get there, I'll take everything, with me, whatever brands they are. I'm not about to pick through looking for my stuff." He took the Craftsman top chest with "all" the man's tools. Yeah, I do miss my brother. Visited his grave this week.

nice story.....had issues with some of my stuff from the 80's. "Broken Dinosaur" stuff, the Snap On driver said..If it wasn't for guys like me that bought and bought stuff, you wouldn't have a job now...he would really get po-ed when I would hand him a receipt from 1986 showing I bought the item new..

really didn't skip out on payments like the others in my shop. They scattered like roaches! I picked up a nice side box he just got the stop prior. Still have it today and holds bike tools and small parts.

Snap On makes very good tools but they were no better or worse than Craftsman. Snap On never made any Craftsman tools. The company that made Craftsman tools was Easco. And Easco also made tools sold by NAPA. Craftsman tools were ok until the early 2000’s. Then they started getting away from Easco for some cheaper sets made in China. The rest they say is history. By the way, Craftsman power tools were made by Black & Decker and Porter-Cable. Lawnmowers were made by Tecumseh to Sears specifications.

Back