When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snyder built American Flyer Archbar truss frame build

-
Thank you.

It's nice to have some non rideable display bikes with wood rims however the Velocity Blunt makes a nice solid build.

There is some wiggle room as well since it follows the profile of an aero rim somewhat resembling the shape of older clad wood rims.

Wished there were some grey or silver available in 36 hole!!!

Thank you.

It's nice to have some non rideable display bikes with wood rims however the Velocity Blunt makes a nice solid build.

There is some wiggle room as well since it follows the profile of an aero rim somewhat resembling the shape of older clad wood rims.

Wished there were some grey or silver available in 36 hole!!!
Since you brought up color and I have zero experience with these, what color would the original wood/metal composite rims have been? I understand the metal was on the outside and wood was inside but I've never see any in person. Were they nickle plated or painted to match the frame/fenders?

Some were nickel plated, the ones they appear grey have lost the nickel plating. Some rims were definitely painted to match.

I'm just digging into rims and tires myself.

There are some nice threads under Antique Bicyclea 1933 and older. I would cruise around there and check out some of the really cool threads on tires and rims.

Time for an update. New 700 aluminum hoops painted black, stainless spokes, vintage front hub, 3 speed coaster Shimano rear, Ichi Bike rear skip-tooth sprocket, Schwalbe Little Big Ben tires just clear by a hair, early Persons pedals, ball end grips. I extended the bars 3 1/2" to give me room for the shifter and a full length grip before the bend. Still would like to find an original crank sprocket but none to be had at any price so far. So close, I actually took it for a ride up and down the driveway but without a seat installed yet it was a short trip. I have a seat but no post yet; on the short list of stuff left to do. Stock was some sort of "7" shaped post. I'm a heavy guy, 240lbs and thinking a straight post is going to last over a bent one. I have a new Wald stem on order 13/16 with 7/8 top. I will see how it works and if I need to get a bent one, to move the seat back or forward, I will.

20231007_145734.jpg

20231007_145533.jpg

20231007_145706.jpg

20231007_162940.jpg

20231007_162956.jpg

Back