When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snyder Chain Ring?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pedalpower17

Finally riding a big boys bike
I believe this cool ring is a pre-war Snyder, 1930s. Anybody agree? Disagree?

Star 26T.jpg

OK, a follow up question for the true connoisseurs. Did the D.P. Harris Hardware manufacture anything or were they only the retailer of Rollfast branded bikes built by H.P. Snyder? Is it possible that this chain ring could have been made by D.P. Harris?

Last edited:
DPH Hardware did make ball bearings at one time; maybe roller skates (mostly sheet-metal parts) too.
There is a picture of their large factory on this site, (somewhere).
Not sure if they had (or needed) capability to forge or stamp chain rings from steel (e.g., boiler plate).
The Nostalgic.net website shows a 1936 "Rollfast" product line catalog with the 5+1 "H" chain ring on "Rollfast" badged bikes and the "star" chain ring on "Peerless" badged bikes. An old "Rollfast" ad from 1939 shows similar, with the words "low price" - so the chain ring was part of the greater "Rollfast" product line, but sometimes not placed on the top-of-the-line "Rollfast" models, with the ball-bearings badge.
Rollfast Ad 6 (1939).jpg
An old ad from the Van Camp hardware stores, described the star chain ring as "fancy pattern" on their "Ben Hur" badged Harris bikes.
Don't mean to split hairs, but sometimes, "Rollfast" may mean different things to different people, in different contexts, (e.g., MW Hawthorne).
It may be kind of like the 1st year Ford Mustangs, yes they were Ford cars, but Ford did not put there name on them that year, using "Mustang" instead.
DPH may have also been a "wholesaler".

Last edited:
Most often seen on Snyder built bikes, I've also seen this ring once in a great while on a few pre war Shelby bikes.

DPH Hardware did make ball bearings at one time; maybe roller skates (mostly sheet-metal parts) too.
There is a picture of their large factory on this site, (somewhere).
Not sure if they had (or needed) capability to forge or stamp chain rings from steel
Thanks for the info. I've got the impression that maybe DPH Hardware did not manufacture bicycles, but retailed Rollfast bikes. Snyder built bikes. Anyway, the story of my chain ring is much clearer now.

This was my 41 Synder built Derby badged bike with that chainring.
Rollfaster, that tells me the ring was manufactured into the 40s...maybe it was discontinued with the war. It also gives more evidence that this ring tended to be used on the standard models. Thanks...and that is a beautiful red Derby which surely made some kid super happy. Love the red/white rims with black wall tires!

Last edited:
Back