When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I bought this schwinn out of a barn..... newb can't figure out what it is, help!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Nardo

Look Ma, No Hands!
Here is a picture of the serial number. I can add more pics, this is the only one I have on the internet now. It has schwinn typhoon tires front and rear, original seat, headtube badge, and chaingaurd is gone, so are the hand grips. Rims look as if they use to be chrome, now all rust. Bike is dark red/marroon with white pinstripes down the fenders and white on the front of the frame and fenders. has semicircular fender brackets, is NOT skiptooth, has a new departure rear hub. Does NOT have a built in kickstand. rear wheel dropout goes up, then towards the rear of the bicycle.

Best thing about this bike, I bought it out of a barn, covered in bird crap and cob webbs. Brought it home, used an air compressor to fill the tires, expecting them to blow out, but they held air, and still are over a week later!!!! I took apart the bottom bracket and regreased, lubed the chain, and it rides like a dream!!!!

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 305900_247665478599506_100000681673702_785827_4401806_n.jpg
    305900_247665478599506_100000681673702_785827_4401806_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 106
Your bike is a Postwar Colson. Based on what is known about Colson serial numbers, it is likely the bike is from 1953 and produced at about the time Colson was selling their bicycle division to Evans.

So its not a schwinn at all? Does this mean the tires aren't original either? Anyone have a rough estimate of what its worth? (Should I be riding it, or selling it?)

if i had that,i would clean it up,re-grease everything and ride it.it's a total patina bomb and way cool.you might be surprised how good the rims and chrome will clean up.chrome in those days was pretty bulletproof.
tires are schwinn tires,but if they hold air and aren't cracked too bad,run them.

The rust on the rims is pretty thick! But I'm young, what should i use to muscle it off? Does the chaingaurd belong on it?

I don't know about the chainguard, but you won't be doing any any harm to THOSE rims if you used an SOS or Brillo pad. OR, several people on this site have raved about an environmentally safe product called EVAPO-RUST. I bought a container at Harbor Freight and haven't used it yet, so I can't give you a first hand acount of how good it works. But I've seen before and after photos, and I was impressed. Instructions say to soak overnight, so you may have to soak rims over a period of several days due to the awkward size of the rims. Your rear rim looks borderline (too far gone?), but you never know. Whichever method you choose to clean your rims, be sure put a few coats of wax on ASAP to prevent them from rusting over again right away. OR rather than waxing, you may want to clear coat them. OR some other rust preventative of your choosing.

Back