When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I bought this schwinn out of a barn..... newb can't figure out what it is, help!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok, so the SOS worked, but there's still a lot more to go! It took me an hour and a half to burn up a half dozen SOS pads and barely make a noticible difference. Some of the spokes shined up good! Would the soaking help with the deeper rust?

Would there have been black pinstripe around the outer edge of the rim? I'm almost positive there's pinsttripe on the front wheel at least. Couldn't get a good pic due to bad lighting.

For some reason, I thought the rims might have been chrome, sounds like they are painted if there is a pinstripe. I understood that EVAPO-RUST wouldn't hurt plating. I don't know how paint would react to it. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE MORE QUALIFIED THAN I CAN ANSWER THIS FOR YOU. I think in the interest of saving your wheel, I better step away from trying to solve your rust problem. There are other things that I would try, but I don't feel comfortable suggesting them. Yes, I sound like an idiot, but I didn't want you to run right out, buy some EVAPO-RUST on my recommendation and destroy any paint that might be salvageable (which I doubt).

If the rims were painted, would they still be Chrome underneath? I see no other signs of the rims being painted, other than, what looks like two or three black pinstripes around the outer edge of the sidewalk of the rim. I really doubt it fan be saved, really only notice they were there cause the rim isn't quite as rusty where the stripes were.

Update.
I picked up the seat I wanted, even though its not the correct one, I like this one, and it was only twenty bucks. Then yesterday I made the trip to Memory Lane and picked up this chaingaurd for fifteen bucks! Dug through a couple hundred fairest, this one was the only dark red one, and it almost matches perfect.

I also got a horn, bigger handlebars, grips, and a longer seatpost. Can't wait to get it all put on and ride!

Attachments

• IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 75
Back