When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I bought this schwinn out of a barn..... newb can't figure out what it is, help!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank you so much to everyone who has helped!!! This is awesome! Now that i know what I have, I can start looking for the correct parts for it. First thing I need to do is get rid of that horrible seat! Any tips on where to find correct parts would be great too! not much on ebay for colson bikes. I'd love to get one of those leather springer seats for it!

I'll get on those rims and see what i can do. (Contemplating riding it the 11.5 miles to work, and cleaning the wheels there :)

Last edited:
That's neat; I have a '54 Evans Colson, from right after they made the switch and it uses the same sweetheart chainring. Leftover stock didn't want to go to waste!

Got any pics of yours? I need to figure out what style seat and chaingaurd I should be searching for

Typhoon accessories

My cool friend Mr. Spalding just gave me a 1970ish red Typhoon in pretty good shape. It does not have any racks or accessories. Can someone lead me to a website or photos that would show what original equipment would have come on it and/or the correct accessories?

I particularly want to get a rear rack that would be right for the bike but that would also accept some new "panier" bags(spelling?) that I already own and paid 100 bucks for and used on another bike that is now gone (rode once on europe trip over Pyranese then stolen by lowdown dirty worthless bike thief).

Thank you for any advice.

Got any pics of yours? I need to figure out what style seat and chaingaurd I should be searching for

I wouldn't think the chainguard would be the same between the two models as Evans completely redesigned the frame for '54 when they took over.
This is the only picture I have of mine right now.
Below that, I have a Colson chainguard (green) and an Evans/Colson chainguard (two-tone blue). I think the Colson one was earlier than your bike and the Evans is later. Wish I could help but I don't think either is right.

DSCF3059-1.jpg

DSCF3159-1.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

Hope this works, trying to attach photo (first time) of what I might think is the style of chainguard that you are looking for.

...Well that worked!!! Guess I'll be able to back up some of my words with pictures now. YAY.

Last edited:
rust removal

I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover and 0000 Steel wool. I swear by it. If the rust is not too thick. This stuff is like $2 a bottle at Wal-Mart. Evaporust works great, but is a little expensive. Try my tip out on all your chrome. You will be surprised.

Great pictures! now I know what I'm hunting down, thats the first step! Just picked up a box of sos pads from the dollar store, so I'm about to head to the shed, remove a rim, and go to town!

I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover and 0000 Steel wool. I swear by it. If the rust is not too thick. This stuff is like $2 a bottle at Wal-Mart. Evaporust works great, but is a little expensive. Try my tip out on all your chrome. You will be surprised.

You also suggested that I try your method for rust removal. Sorry, I hope you don't think that I ignored your suggestion about the Turtle Wax. It's on my list of things to try, I just haven't gotten a chance to get to Walmart yet (it's one of those stores that I avoid like the plague). And indeed, the rust looked awfully thick on that back rim, that's why I suggested SOS.

Distilled white vinegar bath (cheap), soak chrome or unpainted metal about 8 hours, rub with extra fine steel wool brings rust right off. Then wax to prevent further rust. I just did this on a rusty handlebars, crank, and fender supports and it really worked great & cost me about $5 for 2 gallons. Use extra fine steel wool & WD40 to carefully remove rust from painted parts followed by rubbing compound, polishing compound, carnauba wax (I use Meguiars or Mothers I use on my cars). This all keeps costs down & works great. Just takes a little elbow grease just be careful on painted pinstripes, decals as the compound will quickly remove those. Good luck.

Back