When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I have this imposter in my shop...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yeah, that's the trouble, There's no difference. You could make a Tiger or Speedster out of it with a decal set. Oh, and probably one of them had a light or something. Here's my 61 Speedster. Wrong pedals and seat, fenders missing, but other than that pretty much stock.

wectmeg-jpg.jpg

Yeah, that is where it gets weird. He says he knows tge seat and badge are wrong, but that they bought it new from a local bike store then with this paint job and bobbed rear fender... im going to replace the seat and I'll use light on the chain guard. I just really wanted to answer the "what model is it" question
I'd put money on the owner has long forgotten what happened here and if it has Schwinn marked tires; it's a white oval ink/paint made in late 70/80's, for Schwinn by Kenda (I have a set with Diamond tread) and would date when the bike was customized too.

All too often I've seen collectibles and family members find/found in flea markets or other; fakes, new and reproposed items where/ when whoever acquires it says: 'That is the exact thing they'd had as a kid, and all of family support the idea. Worse, they'll fight and argue that you're a con and trying to take advantage of em. Not to say or be sure this owner did this because his mom or pops, uncle, aunt etc. could have acquired it some time back. Otherwise, and no harm or intent meant here but owner has dementia.

Regardless, the color is not the right tint for Schwinn but, it is a very cool custom with moreover, all the right things done to it. If was my friend, I'd try to explain but, I wouldn't mess with his emotions and rather than pry hard, let the illusion stand. .

BTW FYI, it's not a Junior it's 26" While Girl's do not: All boy's 20 and 24" frames have the same sized head post. And or easier to visualize, The Boy's Sting-Ray has the same head post as the 24" boy's bike and the forks are perfectly interchangeable. .

Last edited:
Yeah, that is where it gets weird. He says he knows tge seat and badge are wrong, but that they bought it new from a local bike store then with this paint job and bobbed rear fender... im going to replace the seat and I'll use light on the chain guard. I just really wanted to answer the "what model is it" question

The bicycle has been modified .. maybe a trade in @ the local bike shop .. maybe a shop employees hot rod mod .. either way it's not a factory bike as it sits or a factory paint job .. just grease it up check tires tubes & ride it .. done & done ... Ridden not Hidden

I saw that at the swap last week! BTW. Thanks for having us up there! I still have that Prewar Schwinn Cantilever you were interested in, let me know 😀 I'm going to take the rear fender off and fix it, and that broken fender stay this weekend, Gary

I saw that at the swap last week! BTW. Thanks for having us up there! I still have that Prewar Schwinn Cantilever you were interested in, let me know 😀 I'm going to take the rear fender off and fix it, and that broken fender stay this weekend, Gary
Man, I really love that bike. I just can't pull the trigger on the price tag (not because it isn't fair... but because im just trying to keep myself outta debt! If it is meant yo be, I will circle back to tou when the time is right.

What ever happened with this piece @Bikehaus ? I just took another look at it, closer, and it does not look like it has S-7 rims. I mentioned earlier that the front hub was not used on the Corvettes, but didn't look at the rims. By the way, if those grips weren't the 2007? repops, then they are off an early post war bike and they were used into the 50's before the flush tear drop style took over. That should have the recessed tear drop grips with Schwinn Approved.

On occasion it can be difficult for me to make out S2 or S7 in photos but in this case, pretty easy. Those are s7 rims and since U brought it up again, I just noticed that the seat post clamp is not a 61 rather, it's older SA and heck it could be a repop too.

Otherwise, sorry to hurt your delicate feelings GT but, @bloo has pretty much nailed all the possibilities including the grips in most any photo are to difficult to say if old or repop and do not belong on a 1961.

The whole bike was a pretty decent custom job with parts from different models. 😉

Last edited:
Not much. Owner was just adamant that it was all original. I polished it up, put an accurate seat and badge on it and gave it back.

On occasion it can be difficult for me to make out S2 or S7 in photos but in this case, pretty easy. Those are s7 rims and since U brought it up again, I just noticed that the seat post clamp is not a 61 rather, it's older SA and heck it could be a repop too.

Otherwise, sorry to hurt your delicate feelings GT but, @bloo has pretty much nailed all the possibilities including the grips in most any photo are to difficult to say if old or repop and do not belong on a 1961.

The whole bike was a pretty decent custom job with parts from different models. 😉

Yah, Bloo just about covered every middleweight in the book, but still no definite. And for the rims, if you looked at them I'm wondering how you came to the conclusion that those are S-7's? They sure look like a smooth top surface to me, most likely newer single wall rims from a middleweight JC Pennys bike. No knurling at all on either rim! Geeze. Hopefully that didn't hurt your delicate feelings, we all know you start running off but don't know where you are going. 😉 What's an SA clamp? That seat post clamp is correct.

Back