When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So..What do you guys think about BikeFlights?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I recently used Bikeflights for the first time... The box sat in a hub for several days due to weather, then once it got to the destination hub they put it on the truck for delivery, but it didnt get delivered, same thing happened for two more days... on the truck, but never delivered. all in all it finally arrived one week late. Amazingly it arrived without damage, but really NOT a good first time experience.

I contacted customer service and was basically told to pound sand, nothing they could do about it.

So when I got the email link a few days later asking to rate them, I left an honest review... it wasnt 24 hours later and I was contacted by them saying they would give a refund on shipping since the delivery was a week late.

Will I use them again? probably, but will definitely compare to shipbikes before I pull the trigger.

Shipping whole bikes has become such a PITA regardless of carrier I've considered farming it out to a lbs anyone here do that?

Shipping whole bikes has become such a PITA regardless of carrier I've considered farming it out to a lbs anyone here do that?

Haven’t gone that route before but have heard horror stories. Lbs’s usually only ship modern bikes that have minimal parts. Hence minimal packing. Not good for heavy vintage balloners. If you go that route. I’d stop in before they ship it out to make sure their packaging is up to snuff. Good luck!

I’ve used Bikeflights roughly 50 times. The most recent time through UPS. To be honest it’s hard to complain, considering the amount of $ I’ve saved after every bicycle I ship across the country. A 55lbs Oversized Box+Pickup by Carrier+Extra Insurance+$5 in Donations will beat any standard consumer pricing walking in off the street asking for the same coverage.
*This statement doesn’t include Business Pricing

I pack this method. It probably sounds like overkill, but it always gets to destination undamaged....

Bicycle Packing

I take the fork and front wheel off and leave the rear wheel on the frame.
I then wrap 2" foam pipe insulation on the wheels around the tires and rims and also use 3/4" pipe insulation on the frame tubes. 1/2" pipe insulation on the seat and chain stays. Use 3/4" pipe insulation on the fork tubes. Use plastic zip-ties or packing tape for fastening pipe insulation. Use bolt, washers and nut to reinforce the fork at the hub axle dropouts.
Then bubble wrap every thing. Dont use more than one layer. Pack the seat in bubble wrap separately. Take the pedals off.
Remove the handle bars from the gooseneck and cover the bars with 3/4" pipe insulation.
Use a standard Specialized bicycle carton for the frame with rear wheel and a Specialized bicycle wheel carton for the front wheel and misc. Specialized bicycle cartons are the strongest.
Wrap all parts with large heavy duty trash bags and tape openings. Then have handy 8 cans of expanding foam purchased from Home Depot. Lay a bed of foam on the inside bottom of carton where the upside down frame will be positioned. Don't go crazy with the foam placement. Remember it expands. Position the upside down frame in the bed of fresh foam then continue to add foam to the spaces between the carton and the frame. Use long disposable gloves. Foam has to wear off your skin or use nasty acetone to remove. You can spritz water on the foam to accelerate the curing. Now add foam popcorn to the spaces and add any small parts. Copy this procedure to the front wheel and fork carton (smaller wheel carton). The expanding foam fill will guarantee that the bicycle and parts do not become piercing projectiles that would rupture the cartons and cause catastrophic damage to the bicycle itself and also create a pathway for losing parts.
Buy a jumbo Sharpie marker and right fragile, keep upright and do not stack on top of box.
This works every time for me. I learned this lesson the hard way. 99% of all damage of contents are from not securing the contents from moving inside the carton.

agreed. Although I do believe FedEx treats the packages a bit better....it's up to the packers. MOST packers suck at
packing bikes... especially those unfamiliar with the task. It's nerve wracking getting a NICE bike shipped from a
total stranger, Ebayer, Clister etc ... Even some folks who have been in the hobby for ages never learned how to
pack a bike. You can always insure against damages by going the extra mile packing the bike or item right.
Laziness, flakiness and plain stupidity and ignorance ares the causes of most damages...NOT the carriers
when the buyer doesnt bitch abour your time packaging or doesnt want to pay ins it wont change,to pack it in a double thick box will protect it,but untill u dont have to a bunch of cheap assas the damage will continue

LOL message I recently received from Fed-Ex ground Tracking:

6:00 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery
2:13 pm Delivery exception
No attempt made, delivery scheduled for next business day

I had almost the exact same yesterday. Apparently (according to scans) my package was on and off the truck at 2 different times and out for delivery before "no attempt made"

SMH

My favorite thing about these third party shippers is you can enter whatever dimensions and weight you want. Shave a few inches here, drop a few pounds there. Watch that final price get mo better. Since your dropping off pre-labeled packages, nobody knows the difference.

seems short-sighted, could contribute to price increases as packages are audited and bills for balance sent to bikeflights.
misstating size/weight also not great for handlers and determining vehicle load limits.
and oh yeah, dishonest

Back