When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, what size tires would fit on these rims?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JoeBass

Look Ma, No Hands!
This wheel (along with a rear wheel) came with a recently purchased project, and I'm trying to figure out what size tires would fit on here. I measured the rim diameter and I get 25", and the rims measure approximately 1" wide. I'm guessing a 700c x 32 tubular would work, but I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to stuff of this vintage. Also thought it was odd that while the rim is steel, there's a wood interior insert. I was considering rebuilding the wheel set with some new Stutzman rims, but I'd really like to keep everything as original as possible if I can. Are wheels like this typically considered safe to ride on (I mean, ignoring that fact that it's probably 90 years old)? I'll post photos below (excuse the focus on the first shot).
Thanks much,
Joe

wheel1.jg.JPG

wheel2.jpg

wheel3.jpg

With those being metal clad wood wheels I would say Robert Dean's 28" tires, no go on the 700's. He's actually producing them again, I recently saw a post from him on here. I would say they're safe to ride as long as there's no structural damage.

Sean

With those being metal clad wood wheels I would say Robert Dean's 28" tires, no go on the 700's. He's actually producing them again, I recently saw a post from him on here. I would say they're safe to ride as long as there's no structural damage.

Sean
Robert Dean’s number is not working.
I hope he is ok.
The last email reply, from Robert, was back in 4/3/21.
Anyone had any communication luck?

Are these single tube not clinchers? Isn't there an Italian maker that someone has mentioned produces a single tube that can be stretched onto 28 once rims?

If these are clinchers the V Rubber 642s I have on my Pierce will work but are a bear to muscle onto the rims. Rubena 28x11/2 inch have been used by a number of folks and may work better if you can find any.

Have you read through this thread. Some good information and similar looking rims. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/official-g-j-clincher-rims-thread.188936/.

Last edited:
Back