When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So where does everyone paint?

-

Nick-theCut

I live for the CABE
Garage? Outside? Who has the best method for a non pro? I've done a lot outside (wind is for the birds)
Anyone have great ideas for someone with no paint studio?

Nick,

I did mine in the garage and draped a bunch of plastic sheets to make a booth area. Used a vent fan propped under the garage door and everything. The bad part was that the sheets blew all around and such with the wind.

I later did most of my painting in the back yard in the clear and calm mornings. Seemed to work out okay. Then let the parts dry in the garage.

When I dont have access to the spray booth, I usually drape plastic, put a fan on each end(one blowing in and one out). Just make sure the fan blowing in does not point directly at ay of the objects being painted. Depending on the type of paint you are using you could also wet the plastic and floor to keep the dust down. The moisture can make some paints(mainly spray bombs) "blush" or get milky looking.

Nick,

I did mine in the garage and draped a bunch of plastic sheets to make a booth area. Used a vent fan propped under the garage door and everything. The bad part was that the sheets blew all around and such with the wind.

I later did most of my painting in the back yard in the clear and calm mornings. Seemed to work out okay. Then let the parts dry in the garage.

The garage booth is what I envision in my head. Is there anything you would do different next time?
Or do you just prefer letting it hang to dry in there?

10' x 10' picnic canopy tent & about 6 cheap clear shower curtains

This is going to sound ridiculous but I have a Big Lots 10' x 10' picnic canopy tent (top cover only) and about 6 cheap shower curtains hung from all sides. The roof supports are great to hang items from. It's portable, can be taken down and put away when not in use, can be put up virtually anywhere and keeps your parts out of elements & dust while they dry. Cheap clear shower curtains work best so you get plenty of light. Mine has a white plastic canopy for more light. I used clothespins to hold the shower curtains together if I use it in the yard but have also set it up in the garage. Probably cost me $100 total & can even be put up in a garage to have less worry about dust or contaminants. Great for people without shops & with limited area plus not something most neighbors will complain about it especially since you take it down when done. There you go, portable "redneck" paint booth.

Attachments

• Giga-Classic-White-Canopy.jpg
    Giga-Classic-White-Canopy.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Nick,

With the lack of a true booth, I like painting outside on calm mornings, then hanging the parts in a closed garage with little or no stuff moving about to help fight dust adhering to parts.

I guess that's my "way" of doing it now. If I made a booth again I'd use heavier plastic vs the 0.4 mil clear drop clothes that blow all around.

If you are painting in the garage, spritzing the floor down with a hose can keep the floating dust down. I've been doing more brush painting lately and it has worked well- just expect some color sanding after the fact.

Garage with tarps and masking as needed. I have painted outside. It dries faster but you have to deal with dust, bugs and flying matter more outside.

Just for fun, a friend of mine was painting a car outside and some long leggedy bug landed on the fresh paint. He carefully grabbed it and pulled it off. The legs broke free from the body and sank into the paint. No one ever noticed afterwards. People obsess about paint and it doesn't really matter that much.

I use a heat gun for better results

I just paint in the garage no plastic or fancy paint booth for me since my trick is the use of a heat gun before & after painting anything -- dust is never a problem since dry time is a couple of minutes & the paint is baked onto whatever I paint - works for me -- RIDE VINTAGE - Frank

Back