When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Would like to stipify --- Am one whom loves the cruts.

1917  FM  002  HUGE.jpg

1917  FM  004.jpg

1917  FM  005.jpg

links and kinks 2014 .. 02  FLYING MERKEL  BIG COPY.jpg

Last edited:
going to sneak in a little scientific observation here, that falls within the bailiwick of my professional engineering license

Rust is active corrosion, because it carries its own water. Flaky red rust is hydrated iron oxide, and it easily combines with chloride - add more water and it releases a molecule of hydrochloric acid.
You're really not preserving anything you're letting it all turn to crust.
At the very least, rub your bike down with mineral spirits to dry it out.
Boeshield is a good product, because it chemically breaks that water bond, and the wax it provides is a corrosion inhibitor/barrier.
One man's patina is another man's active corrosion
Red rust is not a patina - the patina iron oxide is dry and black.
aP2090003.jpg

Last edited:
I'm holding your blah, blah, blah.
you can kinock your f'n lights out, I offered you the benefit of what i know.
Now you don't have any excuses.

I am a noted preservationist of fine antique items. I rescue them from 100 years of neglect.
http://bulldog1935.u.yuku.com/
this is not mine, and it's valued at $4000.
It's a rare trademark infringement Spalding Kosmic made by Julius Vom Hofe, 1884.
kosmic18-1.jpg
kosmic31.jpg

that green is the nickel-silver version of rust - it was dealloying, and it got that way because biologically active mildewed line was left on it - the white on the ebonite is where it was decomposing from ingress of the copper-based corrosion - now it stopped, and is preserved, and when it restores its patina will turn gold-pink
When grease decomposes, it becomes corrosive - I can show you valuable 80-year-old reels lubed with automotive grease that are pitted because they were not cleaned in 80 years.

That's my hobby. I'm a licensed professional engineer and my bread and butter is solving process corrosion problems and power plant wrecks.

Last edited:
Back