When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I’m down with the patina. I tried really hard to preserve the patina on these triple drop rims while completely relacing them so I could get them tru.

00e03f83c43a6237b88e57ac069b03d0.jpg

9daa936d69eee90ecb95dbc4b9afbcf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking bike. I love how the persons 219 reflector is mounted. Can't beleive I have never seen this before. I wish more had this mounting style as they tend to get bonked/bent around and the mounting stud falls off.

So perhaps a bit off-topic but I am trying to get this fork to somewhat match the level of rust on the rest of my bike. (Not preserving the crust but creating the crust)
It turns out that 85 years of rusting is hard to duplicate in a day.
The day before yesterday was spent stripping the paint. I left a bit on there as it was dark and would add character.
Yesterday was spent spraying with a mix of hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and salt. Then letting it dry/cook in the sun a bit then reapplying. After a full day of this I "painted" it with grease....this was a bad move. You can't leave it on because it'll just get grease on your hands and clothes when you touch it.
So today I wiped off the grease and lots of the rust buildup came with it. It's closer to what I am going for but definitely not there yet.
I washed the grease off with dishsoap and am going for round 2 with the solution. This time instead of wiping it down afterwards I will just spray with some WD-40 and let it dry and see how that goes.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
1621112646437.png

90944784-1A4B-4F48-BD9F-8B4A71B8818C.jpeg

85DD653C-95C7-4C7C-A66C-B6B1851A91BF.jpeg

DD9D2B89-1F72-41C3-A0B9-D2F66D5C8738.jpeg

098BE1C0-B447-42A6-A5BB-AD3A6AA405F8.jpeg

611788BA-A6AA-4155-8A9C-E710FFABA9BE.jpeg

16F989B8-9E1E-4271-A5DD-9107F93496DD.jpeg

So perhaps a bit off-topic but I am trying to get this fork to somewhat match the level of rust on the rest of my bike. (Not preserving the crust but creating the crust)
It turns out that 85 years of rusting is hard to duplicate in a day.
The day before yesterday was spent stripping the paint. I left a bit on there as it was dark and would add character.
Yesterday was spent spraying with a mix of hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and salt. Then letting it dry/cook in the sun a bit then reapplying. After a full day of this I "painted" it with grease....this was a bad move. You can't leave it on because it'll just get grease on your hands and clothes when you touch it.
So today I wiped off the grease and lots of the rust buildup came with it. It's closer to what I am going for but definitely not there yet.
I washed the grease off with dishsoap and am going for round 2 with the solution. This time instead of wiping it down afterwards I will just spray with some WD-40 and let it dry and see how that goes.
Any suggestions are welcomed. View attachment 1412316

View attachment 1412309

View attachment 1412310

View attachment 1412311

View attachment 1412312

View attachment 1412313

View attachment 1412314
Maybe rub dirt on it with your hands to take some of the shine off?

Back