When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

-
The owner calls it yard art.... sigh!

2014-12-14 043.jpg

For me, I like to only go so far as to preserve what is there and make it as close to 100% functional as I can get it using as many original or at least period correct parts.
Being on the east coast, the rust I see is usually pretty bad, its not just patina, its rot. Rust here attacks the structure of the bike so when I find something that's savable step one is usually to stop any rust that's already there. That often means that the rust has to be removed to assess the damage before going further.
I've had good luck with Evaporust but it can't be used on galvanized, blued, oxide, or cad plated parts. Its safe with chrome but things like zinc plated rivets will lose any finish they have left.

I rarely do any paint work but have touched up parts of a bike if its required for preservation. Bare metal would only rust.
Around here bikes rust just sitting in the garage.

I often make use of a touch up gun or air brush to blend in areas that need to be painted to prevent further deterioration but I do my best to make the repairs match the original paint that remains.

The harder decisions are often what to do with bikes that were either poorly restored or repainted in the past.

The harder decisions are often what to do with bikes that were either poorly restored or repainted in the past.
If they are worth it then restore them correctly if not I'd either leave as-is or move them along. V/r Shawn

Back