When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

-
seaching for a front fender and correct bars,and leaving as is

20211217_160241.jpg

I think the "patina, as found" style, Bikes and Cars, has allot to do with the higher and higher cost of restoration. Paint is through the roof and not what it used to be. Proper 3-step chrome is getting hard to find, and harder to find done right. I do agree with the "It's only original once" statement , too bad the great Original examples are at such a premium these days.

Crust is the only way. Repaints RARELY look right, and I'd rather have an honest bike that tells you exactly what it was, is, and has been through. When I can look at a restored bike or car and I can't tell if it's been restored or is original, that's the only true successful restoration. But it's so incredibly hard to do right or to find somebody who can. Plus I just love good patina in general! The clear coat over patina stuff is gross to me but I do like a nice oiled original bike.

I think the "patina, as found" style, Bikes and Cars, has allot to do with the higher and higher cost of restoration. Paint is through the roof and not what it used to be. Proper 3-step chrome is getting hard to find, and harder to find done right. I do agree with the "It's only original once" statement , too bad the great Original examples are at such a premium these days.
Iv'e seen some of the spray on chrome that looks really COOL but how long it lasts is still up in the air.. Neat process...

Back