When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

-
Iver

89B16C84-826B-4995-9D25-71B4DA6073B0.jpeg

To each their own ... I prefer original bicycles .. surface rust doesn't hurt the value ... it shows the history & I think if the bicycle could tell us it's life's story ... I don't need a clean slate ... embrace what you have ... just a full service on a vintage beauty is all that's needed in what I like to find .. there is always hidden potential ...you never know what's beneath a restoration ... in any hobby or collectible ... many times the cost outweighs the value .. below is one that was brought back with OA bath & some time & patience ... Perfect

Riding almost every weekend I run into a lot of people who share great stories on what they had .. what they have currently .. great fun & much respect for original riders out there ... Ridden not Hidden .. Frank

View attachment 1141329

View attachment 1141328

It was to late to add what was done here in my original post ... BUT I should mention that this bicycle has been brought back to life with ALL of the original pieces to the bicycle .. with exception to the addition of the deluxe Schwinn chainring & matching rear regular pitch cog - the front drum brake that I laced into the original wheel using the original spokes & nipples & added the correct lever .. all the bright work was OA bathed & original to this bike as pictured above

About 60 hours in this one to bring her back which included the following
(1) I rolled the fenders with the braces on
(2) I straightened the rear rack
(3) I replaced all the bearings - headset - bottom bracket - wheelset & pedals with NOS ones
(4) I added John US Royals with new Continental tubes
(5) I added the coke bottle grips since the grips on the bike weren't even grips - they were 4 pieces of rubber garden hose repair pieces
(6) I added
the long spring saddle
(7) I added the deluxe Schwinn Chainring & rear cog along with a NOS Diamond Chain
(7) I DID NOT OA BATH the painted parts - just a simple polish to the paint back to bring it back since it was lightly oxidized

... Now this bicycle is a real looker & she rides like new ...
why restore ??? - only original once

Ridden not Hidden .. Frank

I need to add that I have found "rusty crusty" bikes before but they're usually so incomplete they're not worth anything.

Sometimes its just the right thing to do.

Here is a old Murray I picked up a few years ago. After I brought it home I pumped up the tires and took it for a ride. I have since rode it a few more times, but have not done even a single thing to it since that first day. (It got a wash and a quick lube and linseed oil), Its just perfect the way it is, (rust and all). It now sits hanging up on my basement wall awaiting its turn to be the next pick for ride of the day,

I'll probably never sell it, as I think it looks cool, and the 2nd hand market will be lower than what would tempt me to part ways. If I ever decided to restore it, (not a option considered). I think it would go from something sort of interesting looking, to something boring real quick.

Last edited:
Looks just fine the way it looks to me. I prefer to just fix what’s broken and then ride and enjoy them. I was given this 1937 Westfield by neighbors, it had been in a barn and was underwater courtesy of hurricane Sandy. I just took it apart cleaned and greased the bearings and replaced tires, tubes and liners. View attachment 1015468
Had to chisel off old tires as they were so hardened from sitting. Guessing they were the original tires from 1937z

Back