When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Socket Wrench Set - Recommendations?

-

Coyote

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am looking to get my college-age son a starter socket wrench set and looking for advice.
I have my Sears Craftsman set from the 1970's and have never been disappointed,
but I hear the Craftsman quality is not what it used to be.
Any CABErs have recommendations/experience for modern day manufacturers that are good quality
and don't cost an arm and a leg?
Made In USA would be preferred.

Me Personally I would go to Flea Market and compile set to your needs …. Old Good conditioned tools are in ample supply at your typical flea markets …. Couple bucks a piece typically and a buck or so for sockets … I try my best not to patronize foreign Tools

I keep this set in my car. It's never failed me yet!

I have a MAC Jesse James WCC black chrome set for the shop...it's fantastic!

49d30a3d8ca24a8a8277dd0ab2e24404.jpg

There are several brands (including Wally World) of "pass through" sockets. I found an old set of "gear wrench" brand, and of course they are now made in china, but the idea of not having to have "deep" sockets seems to work well for my shop work. I have various sets of conventional and original Craftsman sockets as well.

Husky seems to make some good tools. Home Depot carries them.

I think the quality of Craftsman ratchets has gone down. we don't have Sears here anymore that I know of, they carry them at Lowes.
sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers still seem good.

Gear Wrenches are good quality, but you might consider your local Napa, they carry Carlyle tools, which are reasonably priced, high quality, and they offer the same guarantee that snap-on does and that Craftsman used to. Crack a socket? They’ll replace it free. Strip a ratchet, they replace the internals or give you a new one. Strip out a screwdriver? Same thing etc etc etc.

Is he a professional mechanic or a backyard DIYer. You’ll get what you pay for. MAC. and Snap-on are prolly the choice of professional. I bought some El Cheapo stuff from Harbor Freight and use it occasionally; never broke one or rounded any nuts or bolt heads.

I'm with Riv. I really like the colored deep sockets from HF. I have 5 ratchets that I just keep the common bike size sockets on so it's easy to just grab the ratchet with the size I need. Now HF drill bits, oh my no bueno!!

Hobo Freight has good sets, aka Harbor Freight.

This is a great starter set.

1670552619770.png

I keep these on jobsites, so far no one has broken any of them, however they do manage to lose pieces, and at this price it doesn't hurt as much if it walks off the job.

Back