When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Softening hard tires?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Howdy,

I picked up a sweet set of original Samson Red Velvet tires for my Ranger. However they are bit stiff. I've read on here about soaking in hot water, massaging with armor all wipes. The last thing I want to do is mess these tires up but they aren't doing much for me off the bike. Anybody have a tried and true method?

Thanks,
Chad

Attachments

• 20150522_215753.jpg
    20150522_215753.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 206
Love the tires. Let's see the Ranger.
The only tip I heard to soften old tires is let them sit in the sun on a hot day. Never done it, just what I've read on here. Good luck

second the sun. ive had tires that looked like pretzels. after a couple hours in a hot sun they were pliable and mounted easily. those are killer tires by the way

My reason for softening tires is to get a better ride.
I have a nice set of tires almost nos, but the rubber is hard.
I too would like to hear from someone being able to soften
the tires to ride.

How hard are the tires Chad? Are they pliable at all? If they are solid (what I like to call petrified) there may be little hope to softening. Sun and hot water are great to soften and stretch a more pliable tire on a rim.

I'm trying the sun now. They are pretty firm. It takes some pressure to budge them.

I believe it to be a '21, with these tires all I'm missing are the pedals and splash guard. Anyone know where I can find the remaining pieces lemme know!

Thanks,
Chad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 179
They've been in direct sunlight with a black background for two hours now and the sun sadly isn't helping much.

Propylene glycol eh? What can I expect after using this method? Will it change the look or color of the tires?

Thanks
Chad

Back