When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Softening hard tires?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Awesome Ranger late teens early 20's is my crude dating, which is an amazing example of this classic. Great bike! I hope this softening project works for you. That red rubber will take your bike to another level.

Very nice tires! As mention by others. The Sun is the best way to go. I usually leave them on the metal bulkhead for my basement.

Update on my tire softening project.

I was able to soften by placing the tires in a black trash bags in 90 degree hot sun for three hours. They became surprisingly soft. The tires were hard as rocks before and also as soon as they cooled.

I also tried steaming and propylene glycol. I would not recommend the propylene glycol method as it seemed to eat at the rubber. I tried by dabbing the tire with a soaked rag and the white rag became red.

The best method was definitely the sun. Just needed to wait for a warm enough day. Thanks guys!

Chad

20150621_162418~2~2~2.jpg

Are those old Schwinn truss rods to support the front of the bike on the display table? Pretty cool idea, looks great!

Beautiful job all around, attention to detail, superb. Love the caveat in the lower right corner of the catalog page, it say's it all.

Back