When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold SOLD 36 Schwinn original paint SOLD

-
I’ve had diamond stamps in the past. What I’ve heard is these frames needed more “attention” or brazing done before they left the factory. Not sure if this is true, but a theory to ponder.

huuummmm…….
imagesSBJP1DCL.jpg

I had a 35-36 schwinn badged as an EZ Speed which also had a diamond stamped with the serial number. I like the theory that all non schwinn badged bikes had these. In fact I’m about to post another prewar schwinn for sale with a diamond stamp on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That theory has one big hole in it. I've seen multiple 1960's bikes with the diamond stamped above the serial number. No head badge confusion during that time. Besides it being kind of (dumb) to stamp a diamond on the frame just for the sake of indicating what head badge the bike was going to wear. In the late 70's and early 80's I and a few others noticed that the 5 speed Cruisers had a paperclip attached to the rear fender mount tab that was welded on the kickstand tube. The clip was installed before paint since it was painted with the frame. Not sure if there was a tag attached to the paperclip but I doubt it. I came to the conclusion that paperclip indicated that frame was made for the 5 speed only models with a wider drop out spread. I'm still thinking that diamond indicates some type of birth defect but nothing serious that could cause injury or create a lawsuit.
All the diamond stampings I've seen were stamped after paint.

Back