When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

some 1904 ads- Columbia,Pope,G & J

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kirk thomas

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I did not know Columbia or Pope made cars also. This book I picked up is full of ads with a lot of car ads. Here is some of the bike company one's.
P1280866.JPG

P1280867.JPG

P1280868.JPG

P1280870.JPG

P1280871.JPG

P1280872.JPG

No wonder you don't hear much or see those cars around. They were EXPENSIVE for their day. Sure be cool to see a Pope or Columbia car displayed with a same brand/era bike !

Amazing that they had functioning electric cars back then, things are coming full circle now. Great stuff, thanks for posting.

No wonder you don't hear much or see those cars around. They were EXPENSIVE for their day. Sure be cool to see a Pope or Columbia car displayed with a same brand/era bike !
In the 1880s, when Colonel Pope made a fortune, he was selling penny farthings for $100+, about 3 months average wages. By the mid 1890s the bike business became more competitive and MUCH less profitable....and horseless carriages were attracting a lot of capital. In those very early days of the car, is was not at all clear whether gas or electric would win out. Ford's Model T was still a decade away and petroleum had not yet been discovered in Texas. Pope was in a great position to jump into the fray. He bet heavily on electric. In 1900, Pope Mfg sold more cars than any company in America! If interested, check out Colonel Albert Pope And His American Dream Machines https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=H90QEWNMJ2M5QAQ6DXNC

Last edited:
Back