Some aluminum foil and an SOS pad

This ad disappears when logged in

Rivnut

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Today's weather was perfect for hosing off a Flightliner Deluxe that I picked up a couple of days ago. I got a dribble coming from the hose and took a wet SOS pad to the entire bike then followed up by making a pad out of a sheet of aluminum foil and scrubbing it. That pad along with some water cleaned it up a little more. I didnt want to go the Oxalic Acid bath or molasses dip because I'm not ready to disassemble it. You can see that with about 45 minutes of work a lot of the rust is gone. Neither SOS pads nor aluminum foil can get into all the crevices so there's still a long way to go. But this is a good start and gives me an idea as to yet lies ahead

Before:
IMG_20190524_120649403.jpg

IMG_20190619_130423328.jpg

IMG_20190619_130431889.jpg

After:
IMG_20190619_142358157.jpg

IMG_20190619_142348594.jpg
IMG_20190619_142402754.jpg

AndyA

Look Ma, No Hands!
Nov 24, 2017
bergen county
Nice looking Flightliner! Glad to see that you were able to install an appropriate saddle instead of that silly "S" one. One comment on technique: SOS pads are, of course, made of steel wool, so they can scratch chrome. Bronze wool used with chrome polish is a safer choice, although it is expensive. Aluminum foil with chrome polish also works.

stoney

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 19, 2013
Fuquay Varina, NC, United States
Looks good. To this day I have never used aluminum foil as a cleanup product. Always heard about it but just never used it. Looks like it works pretty well.

razinhellcustomz

May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
Nice looking Flightliner! Glad to see that you were able to install an appropriate saddle instead of that silly "S" one. One comment on technique: SOS pads are, of course, made of steel wool, so they can scratch chrome. Bronze wool used with chrome polish is a safer choice, although it is expensive. Aluminum foil with chrome polish also works.
Hey!! What's wrong with the SILLY seats? I have a few of these. Just not on my flightliner. Any way i always use wd-40 or plain old water with the tin foil. Chrome polish is getting way to expensive. This works well for me. Happy polishing. Razin.

razinhellcustomz

May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
Today's weather was perfect for hosing off a Flightliner Deluxe that I picked up a couple of days ago. I got a dribble coming from the hose and took a wet SOS pad to the entire bike then followed up by making a pad out of a sheet of aluminum foil and scrubbing it. That pad along with some water cleaned it up a little more. I didnt want to go the Oxalic Acid bath or molasses dip because I'm not ready to disassemble it. You can see that with about 45 minutes of work a lot of the rust is gone. Neither SOS pads nor aluminum foil can get into all the crevices so there's still a long way to go. But this is a good start and gives me an idea as to yet lies ahead

Before: View attachment 1017802

View attachment 1017803

View attachment 1017804

After:
View attachment 1017806

View attachment 1017805 View attachment 1017807
I just love the green grips. Mine has the same hunt wilde grips as yours. I do have red ones, but haven't got them on yet. Mine has the black messinger seat with the diamond pattern. Not original but works well and is comfy. Enjoy your new treasure. Razin.

razinhellcustomz

May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin

Before: View attachment 1017802

View attachment 1017803

View attachment 1017804

After:
View attachment 1017806

View attachment 1017805 View attachment 1017807
Are you going to respray the lower fork legs the original turquoises color? Fun job. Razin.

Rivnut

Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Are you going to respray the lower fork legs the original turquoises color? Fun job. Razin.
Oh yeah! I've been eyeballing others on the internet trying to figure ot a color that is really close. But, I've got 5 other bikes in varoius states of repair. Before relegating another one to diassembly and storing parts in a box, I've got to impose some self discipline and be patient and finish what's already in parts. I've found that when I get a new toy, I want to tear into it right away. Then another one comes along and pretty soon I've got a lot of bikes in boxes. This was just to get an idea of how much of the rust was simply surface rust.

razinhellcustomz

May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
I hear you riv. I'm the same way, but i usually work back wards. I like to build them from the bottom up. Sometimes i go top down and it always seems to catch up with me. RIde on. Razin.

Rivnut

Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
I do usually take a look at the bearings and the chain before complete disassembly. If they're good, I continue the tear down. If not, get bearings located and ordered then continue teardown.

razinhellcustomz

May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
Bearings and chains. That's funny, Because the last three bikes iv'e acquired have all bad or broken chains. Don't get me wrong if their good i try to refresh them. But my luck has been that it's far easier to replace than to be on a nice long ride to pedal up a hill and have one SNAP and crash on the down hill side...Oh well. Time for a new one. On the bearings, I have a nice cache of old bearings i take and clean up and re grease and reuse. works for me. Ride On. Razin.

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 24, 2017
Mechanicsville, MD, United States
Looking good. I have not used aluminum foil and chrome polish method. It looks like it does very well. Keep us posted

Rivnut

Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
It's propably a little better because of the acid content, but if you were to substitute Coca-Cola for water it would be interesting to see if there'd be any improvement. I've seen Coke used to loosen the lids of milk cans on a dairy farm. Turn the can upside down and fill the lip with the Coke. Come back a week or so later and the lid comes right off. Could be expensive though.

Goldenrod

Finally riding a big boys bike
Mar 14, 2016
Schaumburg
Looking good. I have not used aluminum foil and chrome polish method. It looks like it does very well. Keep us posted
We had good results with metal polish which is (more) agressive than chrome polish but stay away from pin stripping.

Adamtinkerer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 8, 2008
Western North carolina
I have some cheap brass brushes to get into the nooks & crannies, tube joints, springs, etc. From either Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture