When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some aluminum foil and an SOS pad

-
Are you going to respray the lower fork legs the original turquoises color? Fun job. Razin.
Oh yeah! I've been eyeballing others on the internet trying to figure ot a color that is really close. But, I've got 5 other bikes in varoius states of repair. Before relegating another one to diassembly and storing parts in a box, I've got to impose some self discipline and be patient and finish what's already in parts. I've found that when I get a new toy, I want to tear into it right away. Then another one comes along and pretty soon I've got a lot of bikes in boxes. This was just to get an idea of how much of the rust was simply surface rust.

I hear you riv. I'm the same way, but i usually work back wards. I like to build them from the bottom up. Sometimes i go top down and it always seems to catch up with me. RIde on. Razin.

I do usually take a look at the bearings and the chain before complete disassembly. If they're good, I continue the tear down. If not, get bearings located and ordered then continue teardown.

Bearings and chains. That's funny, Because the last three bikes iv'e acquired have all bad or broken chains. Don't get me wrong if their good i try to refresh them. But my luck has been that it's far easier to replace than to be on a nice long ride to pedal up a hill and have one SNAP and crash on the down hill side...Oh well. Time for a new one. On the bearings, I have a nice cache of old bearings i take and clean up and re grease and reuse. works for me. Ride On. Razin.

Looking good. I have not used aluminum foil and chrome polish method. It looks like it does very well. Keep us posted

It's propably a little better because of the acid content, but if you were to substitute Coca-Cola for water it would be interesting to see if there'd be any improvement. I've seen Coke used to loosen the lids of milk cans on a dairy farm. Turn the can upside down and fill the lip with the Coke. Come back a week or so later and the lid comes right off. Could be expensive though.

Looking good. I have not used aluminum foil and chrome polish method. It looks like it does very well. Keep us posted
We had good results with metal polish which is (more) agressive than chrome polish but stay away from pin stripping.

I have some cheap brass brushes to get into the nooks & crannies, tube joints, springs, etc. From either Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

Back