When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some ID help please?

-

Chad H

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello Experts,
I have been in the bike industry most all my life my my area of expertise is more in the 70's/80's/90's.
Looking for some guidance on year/make/model.
This red lady was given to me by a friend with the promise that I would never sell it and always take good care of her.
He acquired it as payment for a auto repair and kept it in a dark basement for the last 25 years.
Unfortunately it is missing the headbadge (drilled/tapped @ 3-9 o'clock) so that adds to the mystery of what the heck it is for me.
New Departure f/r fixed hubs, through axle front fork tips, Banner pedals and most all of the chrome is in great shape.
Leather saddle has a wooden/steel frame and it is in seeming good shape.
Rear wooden rim have a small crack at the joint/eyelet area. Wooden handlebar is in great shape.
The rear fender I was told was made by a former owner in the late 1960's.
My plan is to display it for a while in a Seattle area bike shop then donate it to a museum under the person's name who gave her to me.
If you need more detailed images please let me know. Coming from a frame shop background I appreciate the fork crown.
Thank you for your time, Chad

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

red4.jpg

red5.jpg

red6.jpg

red8.jpg

red9.jpg

red10.jpg

red11.jpg

Hello Experts,
I have been in the bike industry most all my life my my area of expertise is more in the 70's/80's/90's.
Looking for some guidance on year/make/model.
This red lady was given to me by a friend with the promise that I would never sell it and always take good care of her.
He acquired it as payment for a auto repair and kept it in a dark basement for the last 25 years.
Unfortunately it is missing the headbadge (drilled/tapped @ 3-9 o'clock) so that adds to the mystery of what the heck it is for me.
New Departure f/r fixed hubs, through axle front fork tips, Banner pedals and most all of the chrome is in great shape.
Leather saddle has a wooden/steel frame and it is in seeming good shape.
Rear wooden rim have a small crack at the joint/eyelet area. Wooden handlebar is in great shape.
The rear fender I was told was made by a former owner in the late 1960's.
My plan is to display it for a while in a Seattle area bike shop then donate it to a museum under the person's name who gave her to me.
If you need more detailed images please let me know. Coming from a frame shop background I appreciate the fork crown.
Thank you for your time, Chad

View attachment 1034988

View attachment 1034989

View attachment 1034999

View attachment 1035000

View attachment 1035001

View attachment 1035003

View attachment 1035004

View attachment 1035005

View attachment 1035006

View attachment 1035007
I really don't know much about this bike, But it's very cool bike. Maybe be a pope or a orient from the early 1900's. Good luck. Razin.

I have a few similar ladies TOC bike with similar sprockets (chainring)
one is badged The Geneva from The Geneva Cycle Co. in Geneva, Ohio
the other is badge Niagara from the Buffalo Cycle Co, in Buffalo, NY

try to get better pictures of the sprocket and the lug work, it might be the key to finding out the manufacturer!
it's not a Pope, and not an Orient from the sprocket.

seat and pedals look too long/big for a ladies bike
stem and chainguard look newer, the chainguard's front bracket is not TOC, the chainguard is also massive for this bike
the finish on a lot of the chromed parts doesn't match, parts don't have the same pitting underneath the chrome telling me some of the parts were replaced (compare the pitting on the sprocket and pedals compared to the cranks and stem for example!!!)
front hub looks newer, is it marked ND? what model?
axle is too long for this type fork ..... must be a pain to remove the front wheel (and from the way the paint is chipped on the fork ends)

to me, the bike looks like a collection of parts when the restoration was done, but might be wrong .... difficult to tell when a bike is restored that way

are the tires marked Universal, or Universal Tire Co, Elizabethtown? might be a clue to when this "restoration" was done.

Last edited:
I have a few similar ladies TOC bike with similar sprockets

try to get better pictures of the sprocket and the lug work, it might be the key to finding out the manufacturer!

stem and chainguard look newer, the chainguard's front bracket is not TOC, the chainguard is also massive for this bike
the finish on a lot of the chromed parts doesn't match, parts don't have the same pitting underneath the chrome telling me some of the parts were replaced (compare the pitting on the sprocket and pedals compared to the cranks and stem for example!!!)
axle is too long for this type fork ..... must be a pain to remove the front wheel (and from the way the paint is chipped on the fork ends)

to me, the bike looks like a collection of parts when the restoration was done, but might be wrong .... difficult to tell when a bike is restored that way

are the tires marked Universal, or Universal Tire Co, Elizabethtown? might be a clue to when this "restoration" was done.

New Departure SM on the frt hub. Universal Tire Company Elizabethtown on the tires. 2 images of the hub/cog/chain interface.
Cool if this is not a complete original since it's still a bike with some "soul".
Lugs are complely void of markings. Stamped on the bottom of the bb shell is the # 74.
Thank you, Chad

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

I have a few similar ladies TOC bike with similar sprockets

Some lug / seat stay images. Thank you, Chad
P.S. Wish I could send you a thank you present - old mnt/road stuff, now that I have bin's full of stuff!

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

New Departure SM on the frt hub. Universal Tire Company Elizabethtown on the tires. 2 images of the hub/cog/chain interface.
Cool if this is not a complete original since it's still a bike with some "soul".
Lugs are complely void of markings. Stamped on the bottom of the bb shell is the # 74.
Thank you, Chad

View attachment 1035093

View attachment 1035094

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/c...g-project-need-everyones-help-pre-1933.34160/
New Departure Model SM - 1927 to 1935 (Pics Post #122 & #283; 1935 Post #110; straight hub shell)

i meant, better pics of the chainring/sprocket (front)

Back