When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some new storage.

-
Nice shed Tinker! Costs are crazy. I just did a shed project this past week. My 16' x 6' shed floor rotted completely out so being on a budget I had to be a bit creative to keep the costs down. I bought 8 pallets from our local salvage place for $3 apiece for the base. I only had to cut 2 of them down, the rest fit. I found the vapor barrier at a flea market for a couple bucks. The OSB subflooring was the only new material I bought, it cost $15 a sheet, I needed 4 of those. So for around $100, I got my floor. It ain't a perfect solution, but it's way better than it was. Good luck with your shed!

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

It was asked earlier and I'm also curious as to what is going to go on outside walls. Masonite siding, Hardie board, vinyl, real wood siding, Faux brick/stone, western one coat or just a good ole coat of sanded and colored elastomeric. ;)
And I must say, for a mid westerner that's a damn nice framing job. :p

Lookin' good Dave! Agreed, shed kits are crap. Same problem here with moving into a place with less storage, so I need one more small shed. That's all I have room for. Going to start building next week, killing 3 birds with one stone by using up a bunch of lumber scraps I've been hanging onto for years, storing overflow bikes, and blocking out the neighbors light. All the lumber is cut and ready to go. I still had to spend $300, but feeling like I got off pretty easy. Surprising how much actual lumber even a small shed takes! Mine will be exactly half the size of yours, but I'll be able to get 5 bikes in on the rack that's already built. Photos when finished.

Last edited:
I'm putting vinyl siding on it. I started yesterday. Yes, rust is always a problem. I've found that if I keep bikes clean and go over them at least once a year with some light wax , or wipe the plated parts with a rag with a little WD-40 on it, it helps keep the rust away. I didn't build the shed for the bikes. We moved about a year and a half ago from an old house that had a 3 1/2 car garage and a large walk-up attic and full basement to a smaller place. The lawn and garden junk will go in the shed. I sold most of "The Collection" off, prior to the move. I went from having antique cars, bikes and a lifetime of junk to what is left. I must say, selling off the bikes was really hard at first, but now that they're gone I'm okay with it. The proceeds from the bikes paid air fare and all expenses to Aruba for a week, the Panama Canal for two weeks and Alaska for two weeks. The wife and I wouldn't have been able to do that otherwise. Didn't lose a dime on the bikes. It was never intended to be an investment, but it turned great.

Agree with @ AndyA about possible rust moisture, you already installed the roof and I don't see a ridge vent so be sure to put in some vents to allow some breathing and air movement. I installed my 10 x 12 shed 12 years ago was about $700 it works but not near big enough, I need another garage!

- Mike

Looks good Dave. I think about 90% of us on here could use a shed or three! V/r Shawn
I am debating number four as we speak. Backyard's startin' to like a shed farm!! 12X12, 12X22 and 12X28 so far. One of those shipping container things is another thought.
Currently out of room again.
REC

The 2x4 stud spacing looks construction grade; are there normally any waivers for a shed mounted on cider block bricks (i.e., semi-portable, not a building)?

I went in to the village hall to see if I needed a permit to build a shed. They said, as long as I didn't permanently anchor it to the ground, I could have up to a 120 sq' ft' shed. Had to stay 5 ft' off the lot lines. I went twelve. My son-in law lives the next town over. Earlier this spring, he hears a helicopter sounding like it was going to land in his back yard.[ he has a one acre lot] He goes outside and sees a chopper hovering low, over his back yard, taking photo's of his neighbor's shed, that was built without a permit. That's what they do in DuPage County, Ill. Earlier, my son-in law got nailed on his shed also, plus the brick paver walkway that was on the ground, in front of the shed. Get this, his shed was built in the late 60's by a previous owner with no permit. I had to draw a set of plans detailing how the shed was built. The shed was aprox. 12x14. I give the city the plans and the building department rejects the plans and they tell me we can't build the shed. I tell the inspector that it's already built and has been there since 1967 and that they requested the plans. They send another inspector out and she okays the shed but says we have to get a permit for the Chicago street pavers that are on the ground in front of the shed. [ patio permit] They've been there since the 60's also. I think it cost my son-in law about 250 bucks for the permits. Illinois is the most corrupt, screw the taxpayer state I can think of. It's no wonder new homes are so expensive to build here. So many people I know are moving out of this state to get away from this type of nonsense. If it wasn't for my daughter living close by, I'd be building my shed in a different state.

I went in to the village hall to see if I needed a permit to build a shed. They said, as long as I didn't permanently anchor it to the ground, I could have up to a 120 sq' ft' shed. Had to stay 5 ft' off the lot lines. I went twelve. My son-in law lives the next town over. Earlier this spring, he hears a helicopter sounding like it was going to land in his back yard.[ he has a one acre lot] He goes outside and sees a chopper hovering low, over his back yard, taking photo's of his neighbor's shed, that was built without a permit. That's what they do in DuPage County, Ill. Earlier, my son-in law got nailed on his shed also, plus the brick paver walkway that was on the ground, in front of the shed. Get this, his shed was built in the late 60's by a previous owner with no permit. I had to draw a set of plans detailing how the shed was built. The shed was aprox. 12x14. I give the city the plans and the building department rejects the plans and they tell me we can't build the shed. I tell the inspector that it's already built and has been there since 1967 and that they requested the plans. They send another inspector out and she okays the shed but says we have to get a permit for the Chicago street pavers that are on the ground in front of the shed. [ patio permit] They've been there since the 60's also. I think it cost my son-in law about 250 bucks for the permits. Illinois is the most corrupt, screw the taxpayer state I can think of. It's no wonder new homes are so expensive to build here. So many people I know are moving out of this state to get away from this type of nonsense. If it wasn't for my daughter living close by, I'd be building my shed in a different state.

So far I haven't had any issues with my 3 sheds and all are built right up to the lot lines (fingers crossed). We never got any permits to have them built, but I'm sure that would be different now.

We did have a funny issue with my neighbors house though. My neighbors were adding a bathroom to one of the rooms in their house and got a permit for it. While checking it out for the permit, the village determined that another portion of their house was built too close to our shared lot line. We had to go to a village meeting to approve that we were ok with the fact that their house was built too close to ours when it was built in the 50's! I think that the village people just need to show that they are doing something.

come to Indiana. The town said I could build as many 3 car garages I wanted on my property.lol I got 2 so far

Back