When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somebody has to have some instructions!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
oh good gravy...that guy spent maybe two hours and in the end used a hacksaw... :(

Actually it was over a period of more than a week. He let it soak a third time while on Vacation. I would've gone a different route after cutting off the stem. Cut it high, drop the fork, clamp the stem in a bench vice, hit the steer tube with a torch and twist the fork.

Be sure to compare diameters of quills on those stems. There are differences. Tightening down a smaller stem in a larger steerer tube can damage the steerer tube and isn't always safe.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems/1-inch-quill.html

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 7.15.05 AM.png

If you have a 25.4 stem, than there can also be differences in handle bar clamp diameter too....

Last edited:
All I wanted was a conventional stem so I could mount a light and speedometer on the bolt. Now I need to buy a shop? I live in a tiny house with a full shed and it's a cold, dark windy morning. Oh boy.

All I wanted was a conventional stem so I could mount a light and speedometer on the bolt. Now I need to buy a shop? I live in a tiny house with a full shed and it's a cold, dark windy morning. Oh boy.
Yes, but if you want easy, you buy a shiny new bike. If you're a tightwad like me, you do it the hard way and forget all the pain in the satisfaction of not having to spend any more money than absolutely necessary.

I bet that modern stem's wedge isn't that hard to budge. Screw the long bolt in, but not tight. You want it 1/4" or so proud so when you tap on it there is somewhere for it to move (down) forcing the stuck wedge down with it.

The best welder in my AG SHOP class back in the 80s was a GIRL, Catfish.

I'll bet she is a great mechanic too. Like my MOM. My late dad sure appreciated the backup.

Seriously, I live in a small two bedroom rental house with no room for acetylene (and I doubt the housing authority would dig that.

A MIG welder would keep taking the circuit breakers down as well. The Air Conditioner does it now and then.

Eric, I'll keep trying but Oilit, the stem is too short. I'm going to have to find a much longer one, and it was free.

Back