When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone please explain this photo for me....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jewelman13

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm confused on the placement of the serial number on this super nice cotton picker.[emoji848] I am told that this cotton picker is all original. Can this be a stamping mistake ? And... No... The pic is not upside down.
2b9da5a551c0bcee2369564e22c4b4b1.jpg
25bba5b4ee9f167e07671143c22c13ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the headtube double stamped? Meaning two sets of serial numbers. There are other error stampings like that and there is an explanation.

Was the headtube double stamped? Meaning two sets of serial numbers. There are other error stampings like that and there is an explanation.

Nope, no double stamping. Just those you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The headtube was made from flat metal stock. It was cut and then it went thru a stamping process of which one was the stamping of the serial number. Then it was rolled and EF. Take a look at the illustrations here and you'll see how easy it would have been for the SN being stamped in error.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

I've seen a few bikes that were double stamped, one SN in the correct location along with another SN in the top left location which was also upside down.

I believe this shows that they normally stamped the headtubes before they were welded into the frames.

It also shows they were stamped at this point in the process. Top from bottom could more easily be confused. Obviously a lot easier to stamp a flat plate than a round tube.

schwinn1.gif

No. The quality of the original paint helps most on a bike like this. From my understanding this is one of the most rare krate models. If it's a re-creation that puts it in a different category of collectability.

The originality of the paint is suspect because I do not see marks in the paint where the fork would inevitably hit it. There are marks but the paint looks intact. Painted over?

Experts on these of which I am not one, will have better opinions than I. Soon to follow I'm sure

Last edited:
I'm confused on the placement of the serial number on this super nice cotton picker.

I forgot to ask, does it also have a S/N stamp on the left rear dropout? I ask because Schwinn moved the S/N from the dropout to the head tube around mid-1970 and some bikes were built with different serial numbers in both locations.

If it supposed to be all original I see 2 items that are not correct in the first picture. The steer tube top nut is a later style & the springer bolts are chrome "AS" but should be just caduim "S" style. Just my 2 cents

Back