When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something I built

-
I've had TWO flat tires on the front in about three weeks. Not on the spoke side. On the tread side. I've been over the inside of the tire with my fingers, magnifying glass, I can't seem to figure it out. It is really fun to take these tires off of dear WOOD effing rims! I use an old rimstrip on the side and plastic removal spoons, but it is tricky.

You sure it's on the tread side? Just me but I always run some tape around where the rim strip goes instead of a rim strip that can move or slip out of the way while inflating the tire. Check your tube to make sure that's where the leak is on the tread side. You sure it didn't get pinched between the rim and tire? I've done that a quite a few times too while I was in a hurry to get the tube swapped. Btw I still love that bike. Those wheels, no matter how much of a pain they are make it!

Thanks Chris, yeah it is the tread side and that is what is so frustrating. I am a pretty careful builder and I looked everything over very thoroughly before air. I actually went to Kragen and bought a patch kit and patched the second tube. I haven't done that since I was 13.

I do love this thing.
th_IMG_03051-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's weird man. Tell the neighborhood streetsweeper to do a better job next time! I have a stack of about 15 tubes that need patches and I havn't done that in about 12 years also. It's easier to run to the local Walmart and buy 10 at a time and throw the leaky ones in a big pile!

take a wet kleenex or cotton ball and drag it lightly around the inside of tire. where it snags and drags is where the pesky hole maker is. make sure to check the beads as well. sometimes there is a wire ir fray in the edge.

Back