When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sonia's Schwinn

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Here's Sonia's Schwinn the day she gave it to me.

Took it apart, every nut and bolt apart, except the spokes. Soaked the frame, fenders chain guard and rims in oxalic acid . Trued the wheels, re-covered the saddle in black leather, and rolled the fenders. Added the correct front fender light and did some touch-up on the paint. Sonia was born in 1938. Her mother bought the bike for her when she was 11 years old. The bike dates from November 4, 1949. A one owner bike. The mother rode it too. They had another bike in their garage, [They said it was an old 40's Schwinn] that they gave away a couple years ago to a neighbor. Her husband said he will be having lunch with the guy soon. He'll see if he wants to sell it to me. He said it has a tank, light, rack and two vertical, motorcycle-like springs on the front fork. . . Sounds like a Monark to me. I'll keep you posted.

Brought the bike back to show it to her today. Boy was she happy! She wanted to know if I was going to sell it? Didn't have the heart to tell her I'm parting it out, and tossing the frame on the curb. . . No, I won't do that, but in years past I have parted out girl's Schwinns the same as this one and in better shape. This one I am keeping for my wife.

Here's Sonia on her old bike, taken this morning. Very nice lady.

IMG_3161.JPG

I am glad you made her happy. Looks like you are out of bike room.Maybe she will let ya store some bikes at her house.

You should really make Sonias day by telling her that once detailed
you were able to sell the 'rare bicycle' for 2500.00, and you just updated
all your home appliances and put a down payment on a new car!

She'll be very proud that her bike was worth so much!

Looks like you threw in some new rubber for her too :). That green chainguard I sold you came from basically the same bike in the same color. That was one of the first vintage bikes I got and I thought it was the bees knees. I still kind of think of them fondly when I see them. Beautiful job on the cleanup!

Back