When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sonic Flyer, who made this one

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
My daughter and her husband just went through the unpleasurable ordeal of moving his parents into an assisted care facility. This bike was hanging in the garage and they brought it home hoping that I could do whatever was needed to make it rideable. From the first picture i was sent, I thought "Okay, a Murray built ?????" (It was a distant shot of the bike hanging in the raftes.) It's home with my kids now and I've been sent a number of pictures. It's a Western Auto Sonic Flyer. But it's not a Murray built. My question for you is "Who is the manufacturer?" I cannot place the chain ring. Once I know the manufacturer, I can figure out a date, then see if everything fits the date; I think the seat has been recovered or replaced but I've only seen pictures. What manufacturer used this chain ring? Thanks in advance, Ed
image.jpg

From what I see, a very good condition middleweight bike made by AMF/Roadmaster. Maybe. Is the seat post the quill type? Possibly Huffy. More pics please. ;)

I think it's Huffy too; but maybe Snyder as well.....
Look at the rear drop out for a Stamp # then "H" XXX makes it for sure Huffy.
Probably late 50's or early 60's
More pics so we can see frame mfg differences please.
Sweetie's Huffy Western Flyer below.

Last edited:
I went over to my daughter's house today and got some numbers off the bike. I must say that this bike is in pristeen condition for how old I think it might be. The only thing that I see is that the seat may have been recovered; some puckering around the edges. Here are picture of the serial number on the dropout and a tag on the seat post.
IMG_20201028_154628608.jpg

IMG_20201028_155028978.jpg

IMG_20201028_154735139.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The bike is in their garage and I couldn't get back far enough to get a full picture. I've been looking but to no avail; I can't find any references to AMF serial numbers. Eithe the drop out number or the seat stem number, which is hard to read because of the curve. It reads AMF 2036-D. Any help will be appreciated. One thing I found encouraging is that both my daughter and her husband are interested in keeping the brake and in its current condition. Once again, Thanks, Ed

It's a cool, "last-O' theSnyder" built bikes. In Great shape! and they want to keep it!:eek::D
Tear it apart, clean it, re-grease the bearings, put it back together and Ride!
It's funny to me, the seat cover is probably original.:joycat:
1604058035797.png

In my last sentences under the pictures in post #4, I referred to the stickers with the AMF 2036-D sticker and I posted a picture of the stamped serial number and the identifiable AMF chain ring. I've been pretty good at ID'ing all my other bikes, even a 1956 Cleveland Welding built Roadmaster, but
I cannot find any reference for AMF serial numbers or other ways of identifying in the in which year this one was made. I find information up to and a couple of years after Cleveland Welding sold to AMF and manufacturing moved to Arkansas, but that information ends in the mid 1950's. I'm aware of the "space bike" look so it must be from the late 50's or early to mid 60's. So what I'm asking is does anyone have a reference for identifying the year in which this particular AMF bicycle was built? This one is original and unscathed so all of the identifiers are obvious. I just want to know where to find a reference guide.
Thanks, Ed

It's a cool, "last-O' theSnyder" built bikes. In Great shape! and they want to keep it!:eek::D
Tear it apart, clean it, re-grease the bearings, put it back together and Ride!
It's funny to me, the seat cover is probably original.:joycat:
View attachment 1293379
This AMF bike was owned by a gentleman who owned his own auto repair garage in a small Western Kansas town. As the sole mechanic in town, he kept everything mechabnical running. He has kept this bike clean and greased. It has new tires on it that still have casting "tits" on them. The gentleman that owned it has been moved into an assisted living facility and has no storage. He is 89 years old. Up until about 3 years ago, he was riding this bike to work daily. So with his background and the bike having been ridden recently, it needs nothing mechanically done to it. The gentleman is my friend and my daughter's father-in-law. When the four brothers were dividing is property, my son-in-law took the bike. Each of the four brothers took some time riding it before it was brought to my kid's home. It doesn't need to be torn apart, cleaned, and regreased. It's probably in as good of shape now as any other CABER's daily rider. I just need to know where I can find a reference that will let me determine the age. But thanks for the input.

You might be able to date with the rear hub. Slim chance the crank is dated? Here's a thread with a F&S date chart.

Ooops, I see a red band in one of the pictures. Bendix.

Last edited:
Back