When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soul Riders

-
Very interesting and informative thread Carlton.

I don't keep up with competitive cycling so I don't know the racial make up of the sport, but judging from swaps, I have certainly noticed the anomaly you speak of.
So do you have a belief why there are so few black collectors in our hobby?

Chris

Last edited:
Very interesting and informative thread Carlton.

I don't keep up with competitive cycling so I don't know the racial make up of the sport, but judging from swaps, I have certainly noticed the anomaly you speak of.
So do you have a belief why there are so few black collectors in our hobby?

Chris

Most definitely, I have an insight...but it'll have to wait. I'm babysitting the grandkids today.:):)

!

My opinion is that its an socially economic thing. It's a very expensive hobby. It's not just bikes. I go to the flea markets in South Carolina where we have more African Americans per capita than any other state and I might see one or two black gentleman. I'm speculating hear but I don't know if the collecting bug was really adapted in black family's because most didn't have the means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting and informative thread Carlton. So do you have a belief why there are so few black collectors in our hobby?

Chris

My opinion is that its an socially economic thing. It's a very expensive hobby.

Socio-economics is one facet of the absence of blacks in this hobby. But that’s just skimming the surface…we need to dig deeper to understand the complexities and peel back the onion?

First, we must recognize there are cultural distinctions between blacks and whites.

The hobby of collecting vintage bicycles has an emotional connection with many Caucasian collectors, its a time to reflect warm and fuzzy memories, or a retrospective when life was uncomplicated and every boy & girl had wishful thoughts of owning a new bike.

For many white kids owning a bicycle was more then a status symbol, it was the introduction to freedom; the means of getting around, travelling, or visiting friends.

Something many young blacks never experienced or were denied.

Purchasing a bicycle was beyond the reach for most working black families. Buying a new bike didn’t have a real practical value.

Instead owning an automobile had a deeper meaning for blacks. A car helped blacks to escape the insults of Jim Crow.

American blacks faced some of the harshest indignities of legal segregation on public transportation; buses, streetcars, and trains. Black and white passengers were separate and unequal. Black passengers were required to sit at the back of buses and trolleys--and to give up their seats to whites on demand. Black passengers who challenged Jim Crow on public transportation systems faced insult, personal injury, arrest, and even death at the hands of angry whites.

Negroes who could afford a car, recognized it as a partial emancipation from “Jim Crowism" resisting the everyday racial segregation of buses, trolleys, and trains. “Race was almost completely ignored on the highway.... It seemed equality came at about twenty-five miles an hour or above."

On the other hand, blacks who could afford a bicycle was indeed a moving target…easily vulnerable to blatant assaults, provoking angry whites that resented the notion that a Negro could afford a two-wheel luxury!

Lastly, we must examine the centerpiece of the African American expression...Colorful adornments!

This is an important form of communication among African Americans, its a signifier of group membership in the community. Our outer appearance is an art form, and just like “in music and movement, there is an aesthetic of individual expression that is really important and ultimately equates to “look at me!”

How we dress is a declaration that I’m here. I’m not going anywhere. I’m fierce. I look good. This serves as self-assurance to the mainstream invisibility.

Like I said, there are cultural distinctions, between blacks and whites; If you look within the black community you’ll quickly recognize African Americans are consumed with pretentious indulgence…and colorful adornments!

This stems from our heritage, peeling back the anthropological discoveries, it’s a known fact our origins is robust with styles, colorful graphics and design patterns done to beautify, complement, or showcase the tribesman or warrior. Via body art; Scarification - Piercing - Stretching - Filing – or Deforming, these are all indicators of status, and group identities, and/or spiritual empowerment.

Over time we have acclimated to Western civilization, evolved from our tribal lifestyle, but not from our cultural behavior of adornment indulgence.

Ever noticed the many blacks that owned Cadillac’s in the 50’s, BMW’s in the 80’s and now we style in Mercedes! We’ll go in debt for our personal facades before we invest in our personal growth.

“Keeping up with the Jones” is systemic in our culture, quietly kept in the inner circle. We are purveyors of the “Cool” factor…soliciting attention with “Bling” or ostentatious living. It’s an art form, and just like “in music and movement, there is an aesthetic of individual expression that is really important to us and ultimately equates to “look at me!”

Thus collecting a classic bicycle just doesn’t cut it, it doesn’t have the swag! It doesn’t make a visible impression within the community! It lacks the head turning interest. Most commonly owning a vintage bicycle is viewed as owning something rusty, tired and old! Suggesting that a person who’s addicted to spending money on a crusty metal toy is absurd and crazy! After all you could’ve bought some 2o’s for your Hoopty or a fake Rolex with zirconia diamonds?:)

I really appreciate your comment. There's a contest currently going on over on the RatRodBike site...one of my customs "REMIX" is entered as #53. Check it out!

Click here to see the bikes: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=75522
Click here to vote: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75670

Interesting you'd bring this up as I went through the ratrodbikes candidates yesterday and cast my vote. One I voted for is Remix (#53). That bike is exceptional - great design and execution.

I also did not realize until this week that Leon Dixon is black and it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Though the mention of his name may be polarizing - seems everyone has an opinion about him - it cannot be denied that probably no other single person has done more positive to elevate the classic bicycle hobby to where it is to day. The man is a fount of knowledge and is willing to share it. I can live with his quirks.

Having grown up in the Indianapolis area, I have long been aware of Major Taylor and his accomplishments. I didn't know for a long time that he was black because no one ever made an issue of it in my recollection. The Major Taylor Velodrome (built in 1972) is still very active in Indianapolis and has a pretty full schedule from early April through the end of September (https://www.truesport.com/index.php/article/view_article/14).

Thanks for posting those article, fordsnake. That is some very interesting reading.

Hey, this is my 100th post! I finally got a big boy's bike!

Last edited:
Carlton,

First - absolutely great thread

Second - Your post #35 on the cultural distinctions between blacks and whites is THE BEST explanation I have ever read anywhere. Please keep this thread going. In order for racism to eventually evaporate we must understand each other from a race perspective and understand why there are cultural differences and learn from them. We must understand where everyone is coming from with their thoughts and ideas and the why's behind them. I thought I fully understood the differences in our cultures from being a product of the South where I have seen and lived through the civil rights era from it's ugliest days to the improvements of our day but I am getting an education with this thread and hope others are as well.

Thank You for this thread & sharing your thoughts on the topic, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!:)

Gary

Southern California is a pretty ethnically diverse place, so it's interesting to see the variations amongst the different riding groups.
To the south, we've got the mostly Latino, Choppederos.
And out of the Compton area, we've got the mostly African American Schwinn Masters.

Pretentious indulgence and colorful adornments, describe these groups to a tee.

One of the more interesting local rides, is the CicLAvia, held in downtown Los Angeles.
That's where you'll get a chance to see about 200,000 of your fellow cycling enthusiasts from all walks of life.
One group that I always enjoy seeing, are the Schwinn Masters.
Their bikes are gleaming with chrome and loaded with colorful adornments.
Not to mention wired for sound.
I'm really thankful, they tend to be an older group, that still appreciates the soulful sounds of the Motown soundtrack.
So, I never mind riding along side a Schwinn Master on a beautiful Southern California day.
Like they say, variety is the spice of life.
Especially, when it's accompanied with the sounds of Al Green.

Last edited:
Southern California is a pretty ethnically diverese place, so it's interesting to see the variations amongst the different riding groups.
to the south, we've got the mostly Latino, Choppadero's.
And out of the Compton area, we've got the mostly African American Schwinn Masters.
Pretentious indulgence and colorful adornments, describe these groups to a tee.
One of the more interesting local rides, is the CicLAvia, held in downtown Los Angeles.
That's where you'll get a chance to see about 200,000 of your fellow cycling enthusiasts from all walks of life.
One group that I always enjoy seeing, are the Schwinn Masters.
Their bikes are gleaming with chrome and loaded with coloful adornments.
Not to mention wired for sound. I'm really thankful that they tend to be an older group, that still appreciates the soulful sounds of the Motown soundtrack, so I never mind riding along side a Schwinn Master on a beautiful sunny Southern California day.
Marty, we are doing cicloSDias in San Diego this Sunday should be fun!

Back