When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soul Riders

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I thought I fully understood the differences in our cultures being a product of the South, but I am getting an education with this thread and hope others are as well. Thank You for this thread & sharing your thoughts on the topic, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!:)

Gary

Seeing that you’re from the South, here’s a factoid most people are not familiar with; the origins of the Southern Dialect.

We all know the Southern Drawl or Accent is prevalent in the Southern region of America. What most people don’t know is that the dialect is due to the strong historical ties of African Americans.

When Blacks were transported to the New World, they came via the slave trade market. Charleston and Savannah were the most important ports in North America for the slave trade. Almost half of the enslaved Africans brought into this country came through the Charleston port.

Since persons with African origins were not English subjects they arrived speaking their indigenous native languages. They eventually assimilated to English but fused the new language with their native tongue to communicate with members of other African tribes, this broken English dialect was a code to speak to one another without the Master or the Overseer able to discern.

Over time, the slaves and their descendants lost most of their language and culture, however some vocabulary and grammatical features from the indigenous African languages remained and still flourishes today among the Gullah people, a small clan of African descendants off the coast of South Carolina. Their history is rich with traditions and customs dating back hundreds of years. They speak an English-based language containing many African loanwords and significant influences from African languages in grammar and sentence structure. Today this linguistic style or dialect sometimes call Ebonics is largely associated with blacks in many parts of the U.S. and considered by many to be a substandard dialect but has social significance

I share this fact, because if you were to ask the ancestors of the early Southern forefathers if they can trace their origins? I imagine they'd proudly share that their family lineage goes back to the 16th and 18th centuries; European immigrants who arrived in the New World speaking fluent British English.

Yet over time these European immigrants lost their proper English and eventually began to model the language of the indentured servants they enslaved (the Mammies). These stoic black figures exhibited a strong influence on the Master’s household…working 24 / 7 raising all dem li'l white chilluns. As the popularity of this dialect grew, it eventually proliferated from one Southern generation to the next transitioning to a new dialect…commonly known as the "Southern Accent."

Today African Americans are still influencing the English language...just look at the Hip Hop culture and its impact on the young white suburbs in America.

Nelson “The Cheetah” Vails was the first African-American to win an Olympic medal in cycling and recognized with his induction into the US Bicycling Hall of Fame in 2009. His story is a triumph over almost insurmountable odds. Born the youngest of 10 children, grew up in the Harlem projects and worked as a New York City bike messenger to support his family.

Here is a recent article about him. http://www.urbanvelo.org/issue38/p62-63.html

And an upcoming documentary. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cheetah-the-nelson-vails-story

Great Thread

Thanks for the photo additions...I've seen that one image of Eartha Kitt before but taken from a different angle.

Thanks for sharing, I'm all over this film, as far as making a donation to help produce it. I recalled back in the 80's my buddy and I one night decided to go see the Cheetah at the preliminaries for the 1984 Olympics. We drove from Northern CA to Colorado Springs in his VW bus and lodged for a week in the back of the bus. What a memorable experience.

love the thread!!!!! thank you.

as for me..born deaf..folks are deaf. yup..i get oppressed often.. i truly do understand. People in general asks if i can ride a bike..drive a car...thinks all deaf people are dumb n mute... drive in mcdonalds ive been asked to go in and order often.. when i tell them im deaf..they say im sorry..huh..wtf im proud to be deaf...i can do anything but hear..i love it when i do low nines in quarter..kicking ass and people poop when they find out that im deaf..lol..my motovation!!.anyway love this thread!!!

Thanks for sharing, I'm all over this film, as far as making a donation to help produce it. I recalled back in the 80's my buddy and I one night decided to go see the Cheetah at the preliminaries for the 1984 Olympics. We drove from Northern CA to Colorado Springs in his VW bus and lodged for a week in the back of the bus. What a memorable experience.[/QUOTE]

Late in the Summer of 1984, Christian Dior sponsered a six week cycling series at the Olympic Velodrome. It was a real showcase of Olympic cycling stars.
Even though, Mark "Hothead" Whitehead was my personal favorite, Nelson "The Cheetah" Vails, was beyond spectacular to watch. When he ramped up the speed, you thought for sure, that spindly little bicycle underneath him, was going to explode.

The Cabe is the place where color is put aside and we are all bike people.We have the same love of bikes and thats the way it should stay. Its a shame the rest of the world doesnt use us as an example.

The Cabe is the place where color is put aside and we are all bike people.We have the same love of bikes and thats the way it should stay. Its a shame the rest of the world doesnt use us as an example.

...the Schwinn guys still collect based on color.
just saying. :rolleyes:

Congatualations on your 100th post and thanks for the vote on the Rat Rod Site. Color shouldn't make a difference but unfortuantely it still does in cycling....you're aware of the most recent black cyclist Rahsaan Bahati and his encounters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vas01F-9gTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Zn-ZFZTTg

I met Rahsaan while he was at IU. I think he was helping coach the Major Taylor team Little 500 team at the time. He rode for the team in previous years. Seems like a nice guy.

It doesn't bother me a bit, but I find it interesting that in a thread about racial sensitivity that one of the posts user handle is Krautwaggen. A derogatory term for a German National is a Kraut.

I wonder, if I used the handle, Niggercycle, how much flak I would get?

Back