When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soul Riders

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As a german (and U.S.) citizen I embrace the term and use it in a loving manner as it refers to Volkswagen and how people used to refer to the little car that couldn't compete with the big 3 here in the U.S....er...oh yeah...they did...that's right.

I think it's funny that it was ever determined a derogatory term as Sauerkraut is delicious.

It's also a handle I use with pretty much all forums I'm on except for thewheelmen who did think it was a little too far.

If anyone has a problem with it I'll change it. I think I first used it 10 or 12 years ago on thesamba.com and it kind of stayed with me. I was thinking it was time for a change recently. Anyone know how to change handles on thecabe? I don't really want to lose my old postings.

It doesn't bother me a bit, but I find it interesting that in a thread about racial sensitivity that one of the posts user handle is Krautwaggen. A derogatory term for a German National is a Kraut.

I wonder, if I used the handle, Niggercycle, how much flak I would get?

I think names or phrases should always be judged by the context in which they are used. I hear derogatory terms used in a loving or friendly manner all of the time.
If in the heat of an argument, you drop the N bomb, then you are probably a racist. But if you are greeting a friend and you say, Hey "N" what's happening? Then you are probably going to recieve an answer like, Not much Whitey.
Probably not a socially correct way to greet a friend, but if both parties are willing participants in the jabbing, then I'd say no harm, no foul.
Krautwaggen is probably only considered offensive to a Nazi, but seeing as how, the Nazi's were pretty offensive themselves, I'd say using the handle Krautwaggen is perfectly acceptable.

I think names or phrases should always be judged by the context in which they are used. I hear derogatory terms used in a loving or friendly manner all of the time.
If in the heat of an argument, you drop the N bomb, then you are probably a racist. But if you are greeting a friend and you say, Hey "N" what's happening? Then you are probably going to recieve an answer like, Not much Whitey.
Probably not a socially correct way to greet a friend, but if both parties are willing participants in the jabbing, then I'd say no harm, no foul.
Krautwaggen is probably only considered offensive to a Nazi, but seeing as how, the Nazi's were pretty offensive themselves, I'd say using the handle Krautwaggen is perfectly acceptable.

Im German and take no offense to being called a kraut. Honestly I take no offense to being called anything!.. One of my best friends is African American. He greats me and introduces me as the Nazi and I him as my sub Saharan cohort. we use racial stereotypes with each other everyday. Its no fun being socially correct :) everyone is so damn sensitive these days.. Waa waa waa :)

Last edited:
Thank God for different cultures. I thrive to learn about different cultures..always try to avoid the global labeling. My main focus is deaf cultures.. In deaf world( communicates thru asl american sign language)..it seems there are no race issues. we do get along great.. because we share the same thing,,deafness.. we go through the bs in daily life,,like i said earlier in this thread its 2013..example.. mc donalds drive through,, will NOT take my order(some)..i am requested to park my car and walk in... wtf.. thats just an example.. and im white. funny..when hearing folks asks me what race am i..i always reply.. deaf. its interesting because of my deafness and i do not consider to be disabled.. how that we have flaws and people look down.. i think people needs to be exducated (many are afraid),,learn on cultures,,appericate it,, have a open mind...and enjoy the spices in life!!! sorry trying to make sense in this as english is my second language..my first language is ASL. yes there is huge difference =)

with no cultures,,diversity..this would be a very boring place.

ok im racist!!! i dont like schwinns lol

We are all the same species, Earthlings.

EVOLVING SKIN
BY Beth Herbert | 16 Sep 2011

As early humans dispersed and populations moved away from the equator, lighter skin tones emerged from natural selection—why?
Melanin is a wonderful natural sunscreen, but it slows down the process of making vitamin D in the skin. Vitamin D is made from UVB radiation impinging on the skin. At high latitudes, UVB radiation is less common and more highly seasonal. If you have very darkly pigmented skin, [your] ability to make vitamin D is lessened [significantly]. I have moderately pigmented skin for a European. If I’m standing next to someone with very darkly pigmented skin and we’re both out in the middle of the summer sunshine, I will be able to make five or six times as much vitamin D in my skin in any time period as my darkly pigmented friend.

At the equator, where the sun is really intense, a darkly pigmented person will be able to make enough vitamin D through casual exposure to satisfy their physiological needs, because there’s simply so much UVB in the sunlight. But as soon as they get outside the tropics, where the UVB is less plentiful, they must spend longer and longer [periods of time in the sun] in order to get enough vitamin D to satisfy their physiological needs. Vitamin D [is] incredibly important for human health and reproductive success. Vitamin D-rich diets, including marine mammals and fish, were eaten by humans later in our evolutionary career—after we had the technology to be able to harvest foods from the sea. But early in our evolutionary career, we mostly didn’t make use of high vitamin D foods. We got our vitamin D from the sun through our skin.

As humans dispersed outside of the tropics, there was [an] intense evolutionary pressure to lose pigmentation. Modern genetics, and specifically genomic studies, have shed a lot of light on this process. People like me, who are interested in the history of evolution, or the history of adaptation—we’ve made inferences based on the fossil record [about] what we thought probably happened in human evolution. But the genomics experts have actually been able to establish unequivocally that there were independent genetic mutations that occurred in the ancestors of Western Europeans and Eastern Asians that led to loss of pigmentations as people dispersed into those areas. That’s really interesting, because both of these groups today have lightly pigmented skin, but it’s not from the same set of genetic changes. It’s from independent genetic changes that brought about loss of melanin pigment in the skin.

And, not only do we see different pathways in modern Europeans and modern Eastern Asians, but [researchers have] been able to look at the ancient DNA in Neanderthals and diagnose that they, in fact, had de-pigmented skin that was due to yet a different set of mutations. So the evolutionary pressure to lose pigment at high latitudes was great, and in at least three different instances—two groups of modern humans and one group of fossil relatives—we see three different genetic trajectories for achieving loss of pigmentation.

Nina Jablonski (photo courtesy of Pennsylvania State University)

http://youtu.be/QOSPNVunyFQ

Last edited:
Great bike Carlton! A well deserved win!
This was kool in anything goes tho... 2nd Place - Victus Mortuus - Tommy Atoms

RE: Learning from our past

This is a fantastic thread.....

Kids.jpg

Back