When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Source for Schwinn Drum Brake shoes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

53Phantom

Anyone know of a source for vintage front drum brake shoes for a 1940's Schwinn ?

I used some current Worksman brake shoes, but had to do a little grinding to make them fit and operate right. Worked pretty well.

If you have the old shoes you could just reline them yourself, or a good automotive brake shop could do it.

Good idea Andrew. Ebay has tons of small moped pads for about $10.00 and the brake material appears to be epoxied on. I'll snag a set and see what i can do with them. I think epoxy will hold them just fine.

One caveat- if the donor shoe linings are epoxied on, they may be hard to get off. Look for a riveted set of donor shoes rather than the "bonded". I checked eBay and there are a lot of "brake lining set"s of lining only for a lot of cars and motorcycles. The old stuff DOES contain asbestos, keep it wet while you are cutting, and use hand tools to keep airborne dust to a minimum. Use a file rather than an angle grinder.

Last edited:
You can buy a sheets of it through NAPA, also.

Keep in mind that it ain't easy to cut, makes a lot of dust, and will ruin every tool you cut it with.

Back