When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spaceliner crank cover color?

-

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone please explain the correct color for a '65 Spaceliner crank cover? All pictures I've seen, look like mine. Yellowed plastic surrounding the candy red middle. But I see traces of silver paint at its rim. Was the main body - and maybe the middle portion - originally a metallic silver? Makes sense to me...but I can't locate any reference, in a search. Thanks.

I'm sure originally they were chrome plated plastic. Same as metal with a copper base, but because plastic flexes it "peels" off over time. Just use a plastic friendly silver spray paint to restore it.

Last edited:
I painted the cap center using the same Duplicolor brand’s adhesion promoter, translucent red paint and heavy duty wheel clear products that I was using on the front fork detail.
I don’t recall the plating or paint status of the indents prior but to resto but would’ve added a silver base if needed.
It was a long time and many bikes ago, so I can only imagine if my results on the cap were quite as nice as those on the fork.

Last edited:
Sounds like how I'm going to do it. Not too worried about how it'll wear - for me, the Spaceliner is a garage queen. Thanks for the advice!

HD easy off (non scented) will take traces of paint off. I think they look Great in a metallic silver & even a metallic red if you dare. Not a fan of red but a little bit against a chrome bike it Really stands out.

Hi, These covers were originally vacuum plated in chrome then a transparent red paint was applied to the "vents". This process was used to plate the chrome trees in model kits as well as the rear reflector escutcheons on Schwinn's "S" reflectors. I believe these plating services are still available. You might ask for direction on a scale modeler's forum. The plating that is still there can be removed by putting the part in a zip lock bag with some oven cleaner. Let it sit for for about 30 minutes, then rinse it off with warm, soapy water.
Good Luck

1. Wet sand with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
  2. Wipe down with denatured alcohol.
  3. Spray with chrome rattle can paint.
  4. Brush the turbine vane de-oscillators with Testors 1104 red model paint.
  5. Ready for blast off.

Back