When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spaceliner master link?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm disseasembling my spaceliner for a cleanup - and the chain has no master link. Is this normal? Do I use a chain breaker and then put in a master link? Thanks.

If there truly isn't a master link, then yes you can punch out a pin and use a master. However, it is possible there is a master but you aren't recognizing it. Some master links used a side plate identical to all the other side plates in the chain and it just snapped on so there is no clip. If you examine the chain closely, you may find there is one link slightly different than the rest. I usually look at the end of the pins. Good luck.

Thanks! I really appreciate your advice...there MUST be a master link. I'll go to a microscopic inspection...
Yes, in my experience a single-speed bike from the 60's is likely to have a master link. However, newer, lower-quality bikes do not. I guess that the effort to save every penny in manufacturing resulted in the elimination of the master link. As a result, if you need to break the chain you have to buy a master link.
Have fun!

How's the condition of the chain? If it's rusted, soaking for a day in Evap-o-Rust will make it like new. Check out these before and after pics of an old Spaceliner chain I was able to salvage when I thought it was a 'throwaway'.

chain_before.JPG

chain_after.JPG

Check the length of a foot or two of it though. I just recently cleaned up two chains to relube using the parrafin wax trick, and when I measured them I discovered they were both ridiculously shot.

Back