When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spaceliner tank mount tab?

-

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm working on a '65 boys Spaceliner. I bought it w/o a tank...now I have one. At the rearmost end - where the rivet hinge thing is located - it appears that there was a tab on the underside of the cross tube that gave support at the tank's rear. Mine, is broken off. Does any one have a clever solution? All I can figure is to fashion one out of some aluminum and bolt it on by drilling into the cross tube from underneath. Thanks.

I assume it's this style frame?
IMG_0935.jpg

If the frame is chrome like this 1 & this style? I wouldn't drill it. The tabs are just barely spot welded so I would just use a little JB weld sparingly so not to make a grey mess

Is it a Spaceliner or a Flightliner you have? The posted pic is a pre-64 Flightliner, which has a different frame design and tank attachment than a '65 Spaceliner.

If you do, indeed, have a '65 Spaceliner, these pics of the rear frame tank tab will help you to Macgyver a fix. For reference orientation, in these closeups the frame is flipped upside down with the fork to the left.

IMG_20201103_0852379.jpg

IMG_20201103_0852571~3.jpg

Here's another pic that makes it easier to see the difference between the Spaceliner and Flightliner tanks, and the under-mount position of the tank and tab on the '65 Spaceliner.

1964-65 Spaceliner Model 46306 (a) (3).jpg

Back