When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Special - a brand of bicycle

• Thread starter Deleted member 9900
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
D

Deleted member 9900

Attached is a picture of a head badge from what I believe to be an 1895 - 1898 Special bicycle (info gleaned from thewheelmen.org website. Story goes -- a man was drilling a well in near a Minnesota lake in the early 1970s. Two teenagers found a bike in the lake with wooden rims. The Driller, grabbed a screwdriver and pulled the two screws holding the head badge and the boy threw the bike back into the lake. As far as I know, the bike is still in the lake.

A few days ago, the Driller brought the head badge to me so I could look at it. It is made of brass, about 3 3/8 " long by 2" wide -- it is curved to fit the bike, of course.

In addition to the brand name, also engraved is the owner's name. W. B. Leo of Westbrook, Minn. I am currently researching Mr. Leo.

I am looking for information on the bike. Pictures, historical, etc, etc.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Psycle Harry

Attachments

• 02041115.jpg
    02041115.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 81
You might want to read that post again Mark. There were thousands of manufacturers by the turn of the century, many are obscure and we will probably never know much about them.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I did some looking at the wheelman website but, it appeared that I could only get more information by being a subscriber. Unfortunately, they are not accepting new subscribers to the forum. I have sent an email requesting admittance but, must wait.

Other than the wheelman site, I have not seen the brand "Special" showing up anywhere else. I have gone through my books but, nothing so far.

A few of us are actually thinking about dragging that section of the lake where the bike may have been tossed so many years ago, haha.

Thanks for the help and the interest!

Psycle Harry

Back