When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Special order 1980 lime green cruisers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mrg

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Think I've asked this question here before but just finished a project and thought I'd ask again has anyone seen anything in the Schwinn reporter about special order colors they made a lime green in 1980 I have an original one and repainted the other because there was not enough original Limegreen to save but it was also OG lime, and a friend has another original one so I have seen three and heard about a couple more, all three I have seen our HR serial numbers. They also made a special order white in 1980 I'll have to ask what month those #'s are but thought maybe there would be something in the Schwinn reporter about it, like to know what color the original Decals were
IMG_6489.JPG
IMG_6490.JPG
IMG_6491.JPG

1980 was when Chicago was first starting to really get into trouble, did they continue the Schwinn Reporter through it all?

There were special painted Sting Rays in Black so I see no reason why a large volume California Dealer wouldn't be able to submit a large order for Lime Cruisers. Can't remember the name of the Cali dealer but he supposedly sold more bikes than any other dealer in the US.

All the Lime painted bikes starting in 1963 had white decals. Can't say what they did on the Lime Cruisers though. I believe Lime was last used in 1977 and for the most part the decals main color was white.

Here is my Limey !
The original wheels are in the background, front hub is a black high flange hub, the rear a normal Bendix.
Yes someone changed the front sprocket to better fit the Shimano Nexus 4 speed hub.

334719c3d6994ed4e6e83a08ee8d116e.jpg

Think I've asked this question here before but just finished a project and thought I'd ask again has anyone seen anything in the Schwinn reporter about special order colors they made a lime green in 1980 I have an original one and repainted the other because there was not enough original Limegreen to save but it was also OG lime, and a friend has another original one so I have seen three and heard about a couple more, all three I have seen our HR serial numbers. They also made a special order white in 1980 I'll have to ask what month those #'s are but thought maybe there would be something in the Schwinn reporter about it, like to know what color the original Decals wereView attachment 649402View attachment 649403View attachment 649404
Ive had 2 of these in the last 15 years. They don't turn up often at all. Last 1 i had went to my brother, bought it off Craigslist for 125. Nice paint,decent chrome, too. Cant kill those late model 77-81 Schwinn Spitfires. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Lime was a 1980 thing ( and I heard a special order Cali thing) as far as I know and deluxe ( springer only difference on deluxe) didn't come out till 1981, Tange fork, chrome guard and colors were special, Keith does your brothers have a HR serial #?, Sarmis, serial #, my friend looked at one for sale a few years back in south bay and the guy had the OG rims hanging, is that the same bike?, how long have you owned it and did it come with that black hub OG?

Last edited:
Lime was a 1980 thing ( and I heard a special order Cali thing) as far as I know and deluxe ( springer only difference on deluxe) didn't come out till 1981, Tange fork, chrome guard and colors were special, Keith does your brothers have a HR serial #?, Sarmis, serial #, my friend looked at one for sale a few years back in south bay and the guy had the OG rims hanging, is that the same bike?, how long have you owned it and did it come with that black hub OG?

I have it in my Storage so I can't get to it easily but I'm pretty sure it's an 80 or 81.
Yes the Black hub is original.
Yes this came from that guy in the South Bay, he is a friend of several of my friends who brought it to my attention. Paint was a little beat, also it had the kick stand mount RE welded on the bike at a bad angle and that takes a bit of the value away. My take on the bike at first, it looked legit as the cruiser decals are in the correct locations but the green paint seemed weak in terms of chip resistance. I chalked it up to a dealer ordered repaint or custom to move the cruisers that were waning in popularity in So Cal in 80-81 because Bmx Cruisers were appearing and that's why I see the black bmx inspired hub as period appropriate.

Back