When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speed Cruiser

-
S

STEVE SAYLER

Anyone using 26 x 2.125 wheels and baloon tires on a middle weight frame? Does this present any problems?

Thanks,
Steve S.

I used that size on my Fat Rat Racer which is a lightweight frame/fork set. Had to do just a touch of filing on the inside of the fork legs. Rear just barely clears, which is what I wanted. So I can;t see there being any probs on a mid weight frame.

1965 TYPHOON W/ 26x2.125 TYPHOON Cord tires on drop set rims
S36000411-1.jpg

Not much to tell, I just mounted my typhoon tires on a set of rims from a old huffy (painted red) center the rims good and plenty of room. i might try fenders on it next and see how close they are.

These steel cruzer frames are very forgiving.If you don't intend to ever restore the frame , you can easly widen the rear.Basicly you just put your foot on it and pull the other side--then when it's "too" wide wedge a wood block in and press the drop/outs back to you hub size.String line and check the frame.
front fork are a bit harder to deal with--I advise changing them out. M/B forks with V brake bosses work good, and there are plenty of after market springers avalible.

I'd add ,the V-brake fork gives you very good stopping power for down hill racing.

Very common,The 70's Chicago Made and the 80's-90's Taiwan Made, cantilever frame Schwinn Cruisers were m/w frames with balloon tires.

Pat

I tried 2.125 whitewalls on my '58 JC sport middleweight. No problem with frame clearance...wish I could say the same for the fenders, they still fit but you had that "baseball card in the spokes" sound if you spun the wheels. Unfortunate because it really looked tough. Had to settle for 1.75 gumwalls.

Another option for you might be the 26x2x1 3/4 tires. (Kenda makes them, and you can get them on e-bay.) They're almost as big as 2.125, and they fit on the S7 rim.

JWM

Back