When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedster Tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chris crew

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up a 1976 speedster this week that is in pretty good shape. It has 26 x 1 3/8 tires that were REALLY hard to get off of the rims. Are these the correct tires, or should it have 26X 1.75's?

Will other 26" tires (something like a 26 X 1.95) fit this rim?

Fact is, I'm not sure these are the original rims--no markings on the front; the rear is a shimano coaster brake hub.

Chances are the 26 x 1-3/8 are correct. A photo of the rim would more or less confirm.
It's easy and cheap to find replacement 26 x 1-3/8 tires.

If the rims are the originals they are either S5 or S6 schwinn rims. They require a special tire with a bead seat diameter that is different than a standard 26 x 1-3/8" tire.
Somebody probably stretched a pair of the smaller tires on the rims.
Niagara Cycles stocks replacement tires ...Kendas I think.

Ok, yes, thanks for clarifying on this one BlueVW. At Niagara's site there are plenty of 26 x 1-3/8 tires, but there are only a few that are listed in specs as being designed for the Schwinn S5-S6 rims, these are the ones you need!
Kenda was the OEM supplier for Schwinn lightweight tires for a long time.

Here's the poop:
Standard 26 x 1-3/8 tires have a technical dimension of 37-590 (this is listed on the tire)
The Schwinn specific 26 x 1-3/8 is 37-597.

I made the mistake of fitting the 37-590 tires onto an S5 rim. I got the tire on there, technically, but there's no way the tire could even approach seating to the bead, AND, my thumbs hurt for 2 weeks afterwards. :p

Thanks, Lads, I knew I could count on you.

I'll go look at the number codes. I highly suspect that I have an S-6 set of rims. The tires that came off were both Kenda's.

As to the shimano hub--it could just be a shimano arm. I'll let you know when I have a chance to tear into it. I work in Emergency Management, so Irene has me at her beck and call right now.

ok, here's what I found--

the mounted tires were in fact 37-590's NOT the correct 37-597's

the front hub is marked EXCEL INC 0 C81
the rear hub SHIMANO D TYPE JAPAN

anyone think either of these rims would be the originals on a 1976 speedster?

Back