When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedwell

-
Not sure if anyone else counted the number of teeth 24, on the added pictures.
That may explain things - swapping one mfgr's part for another - to allow the rider to pedal easier.
And then, not too many chain rings will interface with the Emblems 2" x 1" (offset/hole) cranks.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/sprocket-compilation-pic-heavy.41683/page-8#post-913538 (2nd picture; lower crank).
So, Emblem lasted a couple of decades or so longer than Miami Ohio, what was the old-connection, if any?
I thought that 480,000 was a relatively high (later) serial number, past Miami's time (and Pierce's too).
So a snowflake type chainring? Interesting indeed. The Pierce/speedwell crank looks like a Merkel as well...
IMG_1891.JPG

Not sure if anyone else counted the number of teeth 24, on the added pictures.
That may explain things - swapping one mfgr's part for another - to allow the rider to pedal easier.
And then, not too many chain rings will interface with the Emblems 2" x 1" (offset/hole) cranks.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/sprocket-compilation-pic-heavy.41683/page-8#post-913538 (2nd picture; lower crank).
So, Emblem lasted a couple of decades or so longer than Miami Ohio, what was the old-connection, if any?
I thought that 480,000 was a relatively high (later) serial number, past Miami's time (and Pierce's too).
Do you know if the Speedwell chainring had a unique pitch, or was it standard for it's time? Also I don't see this bike being any newer than 1927, but I could be wrong. Thanks

For what I know, Speedwell is another badge on Emblem-built bikes.
eatons191700eatouoft_0290.jpg

A 1917 Canadian catalog page, eh - what's that chain ring on the truss frame!
1919 Emblem Catalog pg6.jpg

So perhaps the Speedwell may look good with any Emblem chain ring, the 5-petals or sand-dollar chain ring is rare to me.
Speedwell Bicycle Mfg. Co. Fire circa May 25, 1899.JPG

Last edited:
For what I know, Speedwell is another badge on Emblem-built bikes.
View attachment 1065048
A 1917 Canadian catalog page, eh. What's that chain ring on the truss frame!
View attachment 1065049
So perhaps the Speedwell may look good with any Emblem chain ring, the 5-petals or sand-dollar chain ring is rare to me.
Thanks for the info... The truss frame appears to have the same flying Merkel chainring. Do you see it? Thanks

This looks to me like an Emblem crank arm and the advertisement shows the use of your ring as well. The Miami crankarms have a different shape where it mounts onto the ring. The Emblem snowflake ring you reference above is from my Emblem motobike with a 400,000k#. I always wondered who the makers were of these cool diamond cranks & the various ring designs back then.

Last edited:
@hoofhearted @Archie Sturmer . Bump this thread. So was it determined that both Miami/Merkel and Emblem used the 2" drive pin spacing on their sprockets and cranks? Miami had quite a few different styles of both that suggest different maker/suppliers. Was it decided then that this setup (2") is correct for this particular Emblem bike?
1912-1923 Miami below.(from Flying M. site) Look closely at the differences between it and this Emblems' sprocket with the same 2" pin spacing. Thickness of spider, inner circle, etc. seem different.
1610580328999.png

Last edited:
@hoofhearted @Archie Sturmer . Bump this thread. So was it determined that both Miami/Merkel and Emblem used the 2" drive pin spacing on their sprockets and cranks? Miami had a few styles of sprockets and cranks that may indicate different suppliers. So it was decided that this setup is correct for this particular Emblem bike?
1912-1923 Miami. Look closely at differences between the below Miami and the Emblem of similar look and 2" pin spacing. Thickness of spider, inner circle, etc.. from the Flying Merkel site.
View attachment 1338403
I have seen several Speed Well bikes with this chainring. I do believe they were most likely stock and provided by a supplier as I have seen these chainrings in a catalogue. When I get time I will take the chainring off and shot more photos.

I believe that I have that 22-tooth chain ring sprocket with a dog-leg crank somewhere; (could not find it last time that I looked for it in the garage). Seems that Miami may have had different chain ring sprockets and cranks for its own different product lines, and perhaps those sold to hardware stores. Also, seems like most of Emblems chain ring sprockets look like another bicycle manufacturer’s (e.g., Excelsior).

Back