When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiegel Airman Sabre Jet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mac9lxx

Look Ma, No Hands!
About to make it roadworthy, (not going to mess with the paint, just going to clean it real good), but before I start I have a few questions as I cant find pictures of this bike to use as a reference anywhere.

1. Did it come with a dynamo or that is a later addition?
2. Two headlights? or did it have a F86 Sabre Jet fender ornament like I have seen on some delta lights?
3. Anyone have a chainguard that they are willing to part with at a reasonable price?
4. Has Sears Premium Allstate Tires (couple of cracks on the side wall, probably will be invisible once inflated). Keep the tires or get a set of nice new white walls?
5. Coke bottle grips or just standard Monark grips? (cool original photo might help)

IMG_20210103_195524880.jpg

Nice bike. This example looks like a Snyder built bicycle; so for parts and accessories, one might compare to DP Harris Rollfast advertisements.
I would recommend replacing the tires, if they are bad; and understand that Sears, Spiegel and Wards, were Chicago catalog competitors; and cracks in the sidewalls sometimes get even bigger when tires are inflated. Maybe wash first, then decide.
The generator set-up is likely not original, perhaps ~25 years later than the circa late ~1940’s bike.
The bottom half of the repaired fender headlight might be original (hard to see).
The pictures have a Teal color look, (may be the garage lighting); after a wash and wax, the color should brighten up.

Last edited:
The North American Sabre first flew in 1947 and went into service in 1949, according to Wikipedia:
If your light set is made by Miller, it may not be that much younger than the bike, the tail light looks like some I've seen from the mid-'50's. But I agree with @Archie Sturmer, the fender light (Delta Rocket Ray?) was the original light.

Back