When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiegel Airman?

-

lobsterboyx

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I was creeping around here in los angeles, i stopped at a trendy fixed gear only bicycle shop (it was for my re-creation of a major taylor bike.. i swear) and i saw this thing hanging on the wall. 10 bucks later and i walked out with it.

IMG_0159-1.jpg

it was housepainted this institutional green and i thought that there was no head badge. when i got it home, some careful cleaning revealed this to me..

IMG_0160-1.jpg

so any idea on this? it looks like its monark made to me, but thats where my guesses end. anyone have any info

many if not all were made by Monark. I have the 1955 Spiegel catalog and none of the bikes look like yours I think earlier.

Scott:cool:

Last edited:
no one has any information as to what this bike might have looked like?

i would love to see what it looks like to see if i want to make a stocker or a custom!

There's a 1949 Spiegel ad on page 95 of Evolution of the Bicycle Vol 1. Basically the same as a Rocket. But they also show a Super Deluxe model w/tank, rear bumper reflector, cheese grater rack, pedestal light, and twin spring fork just like a Monark SD. The Airman's could be ordered with your kid's name on the chainguard in reflective letters! The ads show "Jim Jones", for a long time I thought it was the 'Airman Jim Jones'!! :D I've also seen them with the rarer single spring fork, which looks like the twin springer. ~Adam

I would have to agree with Adam... I have that ad lying around here somewhere.... Hey Lobster... you looking to get rid of it? Or is there something else your looking for?

Back