When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spitfire Typhoon mix?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Neal405

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I was bitten by the klunker bikes an sought one out. Long story short a guy sold me something with a story behind it. He told me schwinn built bikes for a bike shop in Indiana for a yearly race they had. Serial number says its built in sept of 77. He said they took the typhoon frames and put drop bars on them with fat tires and s2 rims. He also said they never put anything on the chainguards just left them blank. I know that block lettering Schwinn logo

never came on Typhoons I have only seen it on Spitfires. Anyone ever hear of this? He also said they were called marathon bikes

So I was bitten by the klunker bikes an sought one out. Long story short a guy sold me something with a story behind it. He told me schwinn built bikes for a bike shop in Indiana for a yearly race they had. Serial number says its built in sept of 77. He said they took the typhoon frames and put drop bars on them with fat tires and s2 rims. He also said they never put anything on the chainguards just left them blank. I know that block lettering Schwinn logo never came on Typhoons I have only seen it on Spitfires. Anyone ever hear of this? He also said they were called marathon bikes

Stories are just that, a story! Without any documentation to confirm it, it is just a story!

If you check the head badge, there will be a 4 digit date code, and that will be the day and year the bike was actually assembled as a complete bike at the Chicago Factory. I would say it is just an early Spitfire, and nothing more! BTW, Typhoons never came in black in the 70's!

No numbers on the head badge and no chrome crown on the fork like the spitfires have. Maybe a Brooks saddle would look good on her.

No numbers on the head badge and no chrome crown on the fork like the spitfires have. Maybe a Brooks saddle would look good on her.

If there are no numbers on the badge, then the bike is not a factory build, or the head badge was swapped out somewhere along its life?

It just may be a shop frame up build? But one thing for sure, it is a Spitfire, and not a Typhoon!

Interesting. I wondered if this was for the "Little Indianapolis 500" race, but according to Wikipedia, those wheels wouldn't match the current specs. But what was required in the '70's, I don't know. Maybe a different race?

If there are no numbers on the badge, then the bike is not a factory build, or the head badge was swapped out somewhere along its life?

It just may be a shop frame up build? But one thing for sure, it is a Spitfire, and not a Typhoon!
Good to know, I always wondered why no numbers on a head badge.

Back