When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spoke length

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

biker

I live for the CABE
Looking for spoke lengths for 28" Lobdell wood rims 36 spoke with New Departure Model A rear hub and New Departure Model M front hub. Is there a chart somewhere? This is for a Harley Davidson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jav
Understand that it depends on the spoke crossing pattern...you can figure it out very simply below, just need to take the measurements...

I dont know if that spoke calculator shown will work as a wood rim is much thicker than a steel rim so the spokes will have to be longer.

I don’t like calculators that presume that one does not know how to measure; and refers to makes and models which I have never even heard of. This induced me to make my own simplified calculator, for both special and general cases, (e.g., 32-spoke).

Simplified means that normal deviations in some dimensions (e.g., hole sizes), might have insignificant or offsetting impact on the results; or otherwise accounted for.

Microsoft Excel allows for a template to make calculations based on 5 variables:
Hub flange width/half (right/left);
Hub flange holes radius/diameter;
Rim radius/diameter (effective);*****
Cross-over pattern/(angle);
Number of spokes/(angle).

For thick wood rims, often longer 3/4” spoke nipples might be used; which might affect the number of threads, or the length of the threaded area?

Last edited:
Should be 11 7/8 all around. Rear 4 cross and I can't remember for the front weather 32 is 4 cross or 36 is. Should be pretty easy to figure out weather its 3 or 4 once you start lacing.

AS-That calculator has the OPTION of putting in a manufacturers' hub but does NOT require it. Simply skip it and enter the spoke count/cross pattern numbers in that part of the calculator. It will still do the calc.
IF the f&r hubs have a different flange diameter you cannot use the same length spoke with the same crossing pattern for both wheels. If you want TO BE SURE, simply take a little time to measure your hubs and rims. You have the hubs and rims in your hands and know where the tape begins and ends right? Very very accurate calculator. NEVER had a bad calc. Accurate measurements of your hubs and rims will bring good results. The trick in the end is the ERD measurement, or Effective Rim Diameter. Since the old wood rims are thick as AS mentions, the spoke goes waaaay into the rim through the thick wood in to the nipple shoulder/washer bed. This ERD is measured at where the nipple shoulder & washer seats inside the rim...
The Woodies are like around 1/2"-3/4" thick, unlike regular alu rims and a bit tougher to measure the ERD. The "correct" long, 3/4", two-flat nipple used on the thick wood rims only protrudes about 1/4" beyond the surface (hub side) of the rim. This ERD is the critical measurement. For these deep wood rims, I would suggest calculating the spoke length and then take 2mm off that number so the end of the spoke does not protrude past the nipple shoulder.
Or, you can trust Mr B above, invest in spokes and hope for the best. I would first confirm that his measurement is correct for a 4 cross 36 spoke rear wheel and check that his hub flange is the same diameter as yours. If maybe not then you are screwed. So again, use the calculator and it will save a huge amount of time and frustration. You just start with spoke number and cross pattern for each wheel before you start any spoke length calculation. Good luck!

Last edited:
@kunzog
"I dont know if that spoke calculator shown will work as a wood rim is much thicker than a steel rim so the spokes will have to be longer"

Yes it will. The ERD measurement takes this into consideration...maybe they should call it the Effective Nipple Seat Diameter. or ENSD?😀

Last edited:
36h front, 11 7/8 spoke length, 4 cross.
IMG_20210813_184944510.jpg

Back